Monday, September 09, 2013

Britt's Book!

I've been reading Britt Reints' blog for years. Seriously, forever. I think I discovered her old blog back when I was working at the country club and I quit there in '07. That long, people. I liked Britt because she was funny, honest and real and I've always enjoyed the way her writing was so polished and professional even if she was writing about a train wreck, which she certainly has done over the years. A couple years back, Britt and her family moved away from Orlando and traveled around in an RV for a while having adventures and finally, they settled in Pittsburgh and created a new life together which is focused on healing, gratitude, minimalism and spreading a message of optimism. Last month, Britt published her first book and I immediately bought it because I wanted to support her work, though it took me a little while to get to.

I'm going to be totally honest with you all, as I always am. I really didn't know what to expect. Her book  An Amateur's Guide to the Pursuit of Happiness is a self-help book that gives readers a concrete plan to work towards leading happier lives. I tend to like reading self-help books if they are good, but a lot of them aren't, so I was pleasantly surprised with this one when I finally picked it up and started reading.

Like me, Britt Reints is a woman who has learned a lot of lessons the hard way and she shares the resulting wisdom in her well organized, and of course, very polished and professional book. I think she did a fantastic job. The voice was sincere and engaging, often funny, and the advice sound and realistic. She uses several real life examples and anecdotes, both from her life and the lives of people she has met on her journey, to illustrate her points and I would say that these stories were probably my favorite part of the book. I also enjoyed the way that she referenced other books and blogs on the topics she discussed so that readers who are seeking more can check out those works as well.

So many parts of this book spoke directly to me and I can't tell you how many times I saw myself in the experiences Britt writes about. I don't want to spoil the book by outlining every single thing, but she makes some points about how we view marriage and how we view ourselves as responsible for other people's happiness that hit home so hard for me. Her views on helping people are nothing short of genius and totally changed my whole worldview. Not even kidding.While I was reading, I repeatedly found myself thinking, wow, this woman knows me. She understands me. She's been where I've been, and it occurred to me that I am not unique at all. These feelings and experiences that she and I had in common and which led to our unhappiness and pain at certain points in our lives are pretty much epidemic and Britt gives her readers literal "maps" towards getting out of our messes and onto the right path towards happiness.

I am enormously impressed with the wisdom and soul that Britt Reints brings to her writing. I loved her book and I really think you all will too. Bravo, Miss Britt and thank you.

* I'd like to make an important note that Britt Reints did not contact me to ask me for this review. She doesn't know me from Adam's house cat, and I didn't get a thing for this review. I pride myself on honest, real reviews on books that I actually purchased and genuinely enjoyed and want to recommend. This isn't some kind of a blogger circle jerk.*

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Is Britt's blog listed in your "Links"? What's the name of it?

You mentioned that you quit working at the country club in '07. Gosh, I've been reading YOUR blog for longer than I realized!!! So much has happened since then (wait a second while I take a trip down memory lane....) Mmmm.... “It’s bittersweet, more sweet than bitter” as Big Head Todd and the Monsters would say.

Thanks for sharing all the good times, past present and future :)

Anonymous said...

Is Britt's blog listed in your Links? What's the name of it?

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers

There was an error in this gadget