Thursday, April 12, 2012

Spring Reading

I know a lot of people like when I recommend books and I haven't done it in ages. Honestly it's because I've been writing more than reading, but I have managed a few really fantastic books lately, so I'm ready to share.

First of all, my reading slowed tremendously because of Stephen King's new book 11/22/63: A Novel which is about ten thousand pages long. I've been trying to slog through it since probably Christmas and around page five hundred I had to take a break. It's good though. I swear, really good. Just long. This is a good one for writers to read because it seems to be written with an awareness of all those good rules of writing that they teach you in school. This is the first Stephen King book I've ever read. I don't like horror, but this isn't horror at all. In fact, it's pretty literary, though it is suspenseful. It's just long. Did I mention that? This book is long. In some ways that's a good thing because when you like something, you don't want it to end.


Then I had to read The Hunger Games, which is over discussed at the moment, so I'll stay out of that conversation due to my aversion to saying the same things as a million other people. I liked the first book ok, but the other two didn't do it for me so much. If I were sixteen I'd probably be obsessed, but I'm thirty-eight and I'm not.


Then Anne Lamott had to go and write a new book Some Assembly Required: A Journal of My Son's First Son with her son Sam so of course I had to read that and I finished it too fast so then I decided to read another one of her books, Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith because I needed to spend more time with her and that's where I'm at right now. I loved the new book, though I was frustrated with Sam for having a son so young without being married, but the whole thing works out so by the end of the book I was far less annoyed about it than when I started. Traveling Mercies now, that is an extraordinary book. It's one of those books that I found at a time when I needed it, which will probably end up being its own post eventually (why I needed it I mean), but it's beautiful and good and you should read it because you might be needing it now too. This is one I'll read several times I have a feeling. I just love Anne Lamott. I swear.


I'll check my Kindle to see if I missed anything, but these three ought to keep you going for the time being. Let me know if anyone has read anything exciting lately that I need to know about since I've been out the loop for a while.

4 comments:

g said...

Yes. I just read The Kid - it is by the same author who wrote Push, which was made into the movie we all know as Precious. The book begins with Precious' funeral, when her son is nine, and it's told from his POV. I actually would love if you could read this so we can discuss all the big thoughts that come up.

Dawn said...

Traveling Mercies is one of my all-time favorites. I haven't read it in years and now I want to read it again (since I have so much more "life" under my belt now).

I just ordered AJ Jacobs new book Drop Dead Healthy and looking forward to that.

Gina said...

In the past few weeks, I have read and enjoyed The Darkest Child, The Miseducation of Cameron Post, and Heft. And now, for some much needed levity, I am reading Lunatics.

I have been looking for a long book (I like really long books), so I may have to get the Stephen King.

Green said...

The first comment, by "G" is me. Sorry for the confusion.

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers

There was an error in this gadget