Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Home!


Before I start, I just need to let you know that there's now way you're getting any kind of coherent post out of me today. I'm still in vacation recovery mode.

I came home to total hurricane hysteria. On the plane home Sunday night it's all everyone was talking about. Mass panic. The big one was going to hit. Monday the local news had two possible scenarios:

Scenario 1: We're all going to die.

Scenario 2: We're all going to die but it might not hurt as badly.

Then I got up yesterday and South Florida had been deconed and maybe it'd rain or something but nothing major and the wind chimes probably wouldn't even rattle. Stupid news.

I'm livid though. I missed being in an earthquake by mere hours. I can't believe it. All I want is to feel a harmless little earthquake to see what it's like, but noooooo. No earthquake for me. I miss all the fun. Figures doesn't it?

So I've managed to get my house in some working order now. The laundry is mostly done and put away and everything is clean and organized. My next major project is dealing with vacation photos and lordy there are plenty of those.

I came home and my entire yard was gone, as you can see. We're getting a new driveway and we needed to put in some new water pipes so now I have a yard of solid mud and no damned driveway, which is no fun let me tell you because I am not a fan of parking on the street, but the new driveway won't be circular, so we'll see how this goes with my running over the trashcans issue. I'm thinking it won't go well.

I thought you might like to see a picture. The house/ Money Pit is coming along very nicely. This is the new color. We decided not to go with the green after all and I like this scheme a lot better. The workers with the little tent are sealing our doors if you're wondering. For some reason there were gaps around all the door frames and bugs were coming in, so now all the doors are sealed tightly and bugs are still coming in, just smaller ones and fewer of them. That's life in South Florida. If you're going to live in the tropics, you're going to have to cohabitate with insects unless you want to spray so much pesticide that you'll come down with three different kinds of cancer  by tomorrow in which case you will then have cancer and still be living with bugs.

In the meantime I think I'm going to have to rename the blog NO LAWN and Narrow Minds.

13 comments:

Sinclair said...

Welcome home to a naked yard (like your new blog name). On the Earthquake subject: you did not miss much. I work at Columbia, Maryland and felt 3 quick shocks. At first I thought they were doing construction on the upper floor. The 2nd shock was the strongest - yet nothing compared to the ones in my native country.
I'm glad to say nobody was hurt, there was no property damage and it gave us an excuse to enjoy a beautiful afternoon outside while the fire fighters checked the building.
I mainly came to return the favor (since you've recommended great books). I just finished "The Shadow of the Wind" last night and had to come tell you about it. AMAZING!!! If I tell you more I might spoil it for you.

Emily said...

I gotta agree with Sinclair. I work in downtown Baltimore and so we felt it. I work on the 4th floor and so with first shock we thought that maybe it was very very windy. However, with the second wave I was out the door cause I knew something was wrong. I'd never felt an Earthquake before. I'm a midwest girl, from Michigan, and I was freaked out. As for property damage, I drove by a bar that had a wall collapse, but really nothing much happened.

Emren

alissa dee said...

it's cute and i love love love the yellow with green shutters :) solid choice!

Kerry said...

Sorry you missed the earthquake, but welcome home! I hope you like your new driveway. I love the colors!

Books & BS said...

Yeah the eartquake was not much in Philly. I thought someone was walking heavy above me until I noticed the building next door swaying. I am not however excited about this crazy hurricane hitting the northeast this weekend...

Melanie said...

I absolutely LOVE the color scheme that you settled on. Good job!

Anonymous said...

I actually live where people did feel the quake, but not me! I know just how you feel!

Kylie R said...

I did feel the earthquake, and it was kind of cool. And while there wasn't damage done like we have seen in other countries and on the west coast, there was still some damange. The Washington Monument and the National Cathedral both sustained damage, and the town of Cullpepper, VA which is like 36 miles from the epicenter has several historic buildings that are damaged.

JoeinVegas said...

If you're taking out the circle and just going straight maybe you can put a special garbage can place to the side, so they don't sit in the driveway.

Why do you need sprinklers? Doesn't it rain and keep the lawn green naturally in Florida? We have no problem keeping our gravel yard weed free with our lack of rain here.

Sunny said...

A scene from the movie Ghostbusters:
Ray Stanz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the sky! Rivers and seas boiling!
Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes!
Winston Zeddmore: The dead rising from the grave!
Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!
Change a few words and you've got the Weather Channel update

Dawn said...

Welcome home! Sounds like you were in my neck of the woods at some point (Philly area?) and I hope everyone treated you well.

Sorry you missed the earthquake, too. I really think you would have enjoyed it, benign as it was. Earthquakes, even baby earthquakes, make you think.

Mrs. Gumby said...

Hee,hee,hee! NO LAWN and Narrow Minds. You crack me up! Good luck on the driveway and lawn repairs. It will be worth it when it's all done.

Anonymous said...

we have a naked yard too. in fact, they are re-doing the sewer system on our whole street so when Irene came through it was like a muddy slip-n-slide.

-kira

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Search

Loading...

Followers

There was an error in this gadget