Thursday, May 19, 2011

Oops

Oops. I didn't get my Indie Ink Challenge in on time this week! I was going to try to slip in at the last minute right now, but I can't get into the spreadsheet that tells you your challenge and challenger.

It's been a rough week for me, I have to admit. I haven't been feeling well. We had a big scare with the baby Saturday night. Turns out she had an allergic reaction to a mosquito bite and she's ok now, but I found a little lump in her neck now and I think it may be a cyst (unrelated to the mosquito incident). On top of that my father in law was here for ten days and just left and since Monday I've had mastitis, which sucks more than you can possibly imagine. It's horrendous. My poor boobs have hurt in more ways than I even imagined possible since I got pregnant and had a baby.

I decided to take a little Internet break, except for a brief moment of ordering shorts online. I needed to do a major closet purge, which I did and boy was that an undertaking. I took a ton of crap to the consignment shop and the rest to the Goodwill. Now I can see why I used to stand in my closet looking at a bunch of junk thinking I had nothing to wear. Turns out it was true and I really do have nothing to wear. I need a fashion consultant to help make me over, but that's for another post, I think.

I had really wanted to do my challenge this evening. I was supposed to write a story (I DO NOT WRITE FICTION) which included an exchange between a male and a female in which they basically said nothing to one another. It was quite passive aggressive and pointless and ended with the guy asking the girl what she wanted him to do and she said she didn't want him to do anything and then he said (I guess) that he wouldn't and she ended with the word "Exactly."

There are three words which I believe need to be banned from the English language:  Awesome, Absolutely and Exactly. I hate when I'm trying to talk to someone and they won't stop saying "exactly" and "absolutely." I make a point to never do this and I should win some kind of prize for never once having ever called anything "awesome." I just won't do it.

The pointlessness of the conversation I was asked to include in my story reminded me of why I like texting so much. It reminded me of a phone exchange and really, the characters were so disconnected from one another that the people talking could have represented two strangers, side by side talking on the phone, so that we were hearing two, one-sided conversations.

I can't stand talking on the phone. I never call people. This drives my husband crazy. I think talking on the phone wastes too much time and with texting I can just get to the point without the whole greeting part and the even worse trying to hang up part. Texting is more efficient, at least how I do it. You can get a couple lines out of me, but I'm not going to sit there staring at a teeny screen trying to type with my thumbs. Not my style either. Surprising, isn't it? Considering my long-windedness in essay writing, you'd think I could text all day long, but no.

I'm going to go finish cleaning my closet.

Ok.

Uh-huh.

Yeah.

No.

Mmmm Hmmm.

All right.

Yes.

Ok.

Mmm Hmmm

All right.

Ok

Talk to you soon

You too

Ok

Uh huh

Bye.

6 comments:

Arwen said...

I'm pretty much the same way about phone conversations but I'll have to admit that your three banned words are regrettable mainstays of my conversation...

Anonymous said...

Like your baby, I am very allergic to mosquito bites. Sometimes I get purple lumps the size of quarters. Once, on a bayou in Louisiana, I got about a two hundred (no exaggeration) bites on my legs and the next day it looked like I had some sort of tropical disease and they didn't fade for two weeks. A heads up for you---since she had a severe allergy to mosquito bites, she'll probably be very allergic to spider bites, too. It's possible that is what has caused the lump on her neck. I get them on my face and neck sometimes and they often have two tiny bite marks---like I've been attacked by tiny vampires.

JG

Living in Muddy Waters said...

Little lumps in babies are extremely common. I promise. My two year old students always have some kind of gland bumps. Remember, kids are petri dishes.

Alison said...

I too hate to talk on the phone. Getting long winded people to hang up is damn near impossible!

I don't agree with your banned words, though, as they all seem like positive words for me. The ones I think should be banned? Fine, Whatever and Nevermind. They almost always seem to have a negative connotation!

Possible the bump is just a lymph node that's still filtering the mosquito junk?

Tracey said...

I have to disagree with you on one of your words. I once had this conversation: "Will you marry me?" "Absolutely!"

See? Not so bad.

And my four year old has a permanent swollen glad in his neck. It rises and recedes depending on what he's got going on.

And, finally, I love the new look.

Anonymous said...

Just commenting randomly to show you this funny nasty assed recipe, it appears to be a joke, but who knows someone might take it literally?
http://www.buzzfeed.com/catesish/mcnugget-casserole-recipe-2gyn

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers

There was an error in this gadget