Thursday, April 14, 2011

Thursday Random Nonsense

How is it Thursday already? My goodness, the week has flown. I'm just going to warn you up front that this post is going to be all over the place.


First off, there were no pictures at Sears. After strapping two screaming babies into car seats and hauling them across town, we were told at 2 'o' clock that the photo lady was ON BREAK until three, although they close at three. I can not grasp the logic of this at all because if she's leaving at two, why not say they close at two? Makes no sense to me at all. Plus, the woman was rude and kept saying she was ON BREAK and had clocked out already which enraged me to the point where I almost had a fit and said if she didn't take these damn babies' pictures that I was ON BREAK her neck. Seriously, I think we would have received the same degree of service had we taken the infants to the DMV. Actually, we would have had better service at the DMV because we probably would have gotten a picture. All we got yesterday was taking two unwilling little ones for an hour long round trip drive in car seats that they hate and Easter dresses that were uncomfortable and scratchy. Total freaking waste of time. I'm sticking with my iPhone apps.


Tonight my relatives from New York begin arriving for Passover. Every inch of property owned by anyone in my immediate family is going to be packed with guests. They're sleeping in the house, the boat, the RV, my house and my sister's house which doesn't even have working plumbing or electric yet. Hell, it barely has drywall, but at least it has a roof and a floor to throw an inflatable mattress. I will probably wake up and find a random cousin snoring away in the back of my Saturn one morning. There will be a lot of people here and for the first time we are doing Passover at my parents' house instead of my grandparents' house, which means better food. More on Passover after the weekend.
I'm thrilled to also announce that my blog redesign is almost done and I'm really happy with the new look which will debut once we add the finishing touches. It's a brighter, bolder, more polished style and the artwork we've chosen perfectly reflects my writing. I can't wait 'til it's done. I'm thinking it should be up early this coming week. 
I'm still reading a lot. I finished A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel and it was one of the best memoirs I've ever read period. I was sad to finish. This book really surprised me. I was expecting it to be highly entertaining, yet more one dimensional comedy, yet it was nothing of the sort. This was a book that showed incredible dedication to the craft of writing. It had a beautiful, subtle depth and meaning. It was absolutely brilliant. Several times in reading it I had to stop because certain illuminating moments took my breath. If you have not read this book yet buy it, borrow it or get it from the library by the end of the day.


I'm almost halfway through Tina Fey's book Bossypants, which is highly entertaining comedy. You have to love Tine Fey. So far I'm enjoying this as much as I thought I would, however, I like reading more about her life as a regular person much more than her life as a TV writer, actor and executive producer. The parts where she talks about her family, first jobs and motherhood are what shines for me in this book. 


Waiting in my Kindle (impatiently) is Haven Kimmel's second memoir, which some have told me is a kind of Zippy sequel, She Got Up Off the Couch. I'll probably get around to starting that after the weekend. Since I'm going to be so busy with relatives I may not get to read quite as much as I have been and plus, I actually need to clean my house at some point this year instead of lolling around reading and acting all entitled to my laziness when the baby naps.


This week, we're also landscaping our yard. Ok, beginning to landscape our yard. I wanted to put a picture of my house up since it's all painted now, but the yard was shameful. My husband said the neighbors probably expect us to put a trampoline up next. I, for one, was hoping to maybe get a pitbull on a chain and an old Firebird up on some concrete blocks out there. Once we get the yard cleaned up a little I'll take some pictures for you.


Last, I'm excited to announce my participating in this week's Indie Ink Writing Challenge. I am a huge fan of Indie Ink. I have read some of the most incredible writing on the Internet on this site. Each week they have a writing challenge which you can read all about here. I just submitted my prompt and I'll get my partner and my prompt on Sunday. My response to the prompt will be posted here on my blog by next Thursday. I think this is going to be a lot of fun. At first I was intimidated because these are some seriously amazing writers, but then I figured I needed a challenge and that I could probably handle it. It'll be good for me as a writer I think and I absolutely urge you all to sign up too. Hey, you might get paired up with me!


I'm digging in my heels and getting ready for the holiday week readers. Bring on the matzoh balls y'all!

7 comments:

Shannon Culver said...

Since I recommended Zippy (but I'm sure others did as well) I'll give you my take on "She Got Up Off the Couch". I absolutely loved the characters in Zippy, and felt especially tender about Zippy's relationship with her dad. If that part of the book touched you too, and you don't want to sully it with further facts, don't read Couch.

Because I know you'll read it anyway, please let me/us know what you think.

For other memoirs, have you read Glass Castle? How about Breaking Night? Any Mary Carr? None of those will make you smile, but they are very well written.

I got my Press Pause book in the mail, and love it. I recognized your story, and could have picked it out easily as I've been reading your blog for so long! Congratulations!

Living in Muddy Waters said...

I am so glad your read Zippy. I liked the next one as well. It's amazing, you read this book and think it is so funny but then you think about it later and realize just how sad it is.

Although I love the memoirs, I have yet to read a fictional novel by Haven Kimmel that I liked. Weird, huh?

BTW, she's one of my 6 degrees of separation friends on FB.

You should tell us who your famous almost FB friends are. That would be hysterical. I bet you would find Obama and Jimmy Swaggart or something on your list!

Jen & Rob said...

Darn it SW, you're costing me a lot of money! First, Tiger, Tiger, then Dirty Secret and now this! :). At least you have a much better track record than NPR. About a third of the book ideas I get from them I don't like...I've enjoyed everything you've suggested. I'm reading Bossypants rit now, too. It's been awesome so far. I keep telling my husband that Tina Fey and I are a lot alike....he doesn't see it. *smirk*

Michelle said...

This photographer just wants to tell you that you get what you pay for. There is a reason we charge more than Sears.

Head Ant said...

I went ahead and signed up for Indie Ink. Somewhere between grabbing markers out of the kids' hands and cleaning up all the laundry and toys they threw all over their room, I will answer my challenge.

Johnny Virgil said...

what? you didn't read my book yet?? :)

Stephani said...

Wow- I LOVE the new look! So happy and Florida-y!

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers

There was an error in this gadget