Thursday, March 10, 2011

It Was Good

Nostalgia is like a dormant virus in my body. Every so often, as with cold sores, I tend to have outbreaks of it and I'm in the middle of one now. For the past couple weeks I've been reminiscing about the 90s, unable to believe that I graduated high school twenty years ago. I lived the majority of that decade in Atlanta and I consider those years some of the best of my life, so much so that I fear I may never get over leaving that city and my life there. It's been eleven years since I moved to Florida and each year I keep thinking that this has to be the year I finally stop missing it, but it hasn't happened yet. I loved the 90s and I miss a lot of things from that era.


Things I Miss About the 90s

Being in my early 20s, President Clinton, girls with pixie cuts, Conan O'Brian's first show, The Rachel, Northern Exposure, Mazzy Star, Vamp, see-through black sleeves, clunky mary janes, deep blackberry lipstick, Forrest Gump, Minnie Driver, jeans with a high enough rise that they didn't show your butt crack, a world without thong underwear, my life before cell phones took over, Friends with the monkey, that Better Than Ezra song, the novelty of coffee houses, long skirts with boots, living in an Olympic city, Seinfeld, Beavis and Butthead, having two grandfathers alive, the Wonderbra, the Midtown Music Festival, Bridget Jones' Diary, Digable Planets, velvet dresses, swing dancing, Beanie Babies, Hole's "Violet", The English Patient, Gwyneth Paltrow in movies with an English accent, Good Will Hunting, John Travolta's comeback, the Lilith Fair, In Bloom, paint your own pottery, Slowdive, AOL, the Waif look, Kate Spade little black bags, Tortillas guacamole (Atlantans understand), Angelina when she was goth, Doc Martens, Thai food, fresh mozzarella and balsamic vinegar seeming very new and exciting to eat, my ex before he went nuts and got another girl pregnant, Trip Hop, the first Scream movie, The Fugees, Sling Blade and french fried potaters, mentos, 99x, celestial motif, Art Nouveau, Klimt prints, cobalt blue and dandelion yellow together, landlines, gas for 85 cents a gallon (seriously), thrift store shopping and vintage jewelry, Ray of Light, matte red lips with black liquid liner, a sense that my whole life was before me and that I could do anything.

Things I Don't Miss

Sally Jessy Raphael (and how EVERYONE had a talk show), grunge fashion, overalls, OJ Simpson, biker shorts, my insecurity, my ex after he went nuts, rayon skirts, Melrose Place, Jerry Springer, sponge painting, Zima, bandleader jackets, Billy Bob and Angelina, the Monica Lewinsky scandal, JonBenet, Geraldo, life before DVR, Newt Gingrich, the first Gulf War, The Crow, Rabin's assassination, Oklahoma City, TWA 800, JFK Junior's death, Princess Diana's death, Buddy Lists, being called a Gen Xer, Buddy Holly glasses, Baywatch, fades and surfer cuts, Spice World, the Macarena, the last few seasons of Roseanne, Right Said Fred, living on ramen noodles, not appreciating my youthful figure, Dances With Wolves and pretty much all Kevin Costner films, bowling shirts, worrying constantly about romantic relationships. 

Did I forget anything?

8 comments:

Kerry said...

Wow, what a list! Or a pair of lists. Brings back a lot of memories for me, too- I graduated in 1988. So I also miss (and don't miss) a lot of things from the 80s. :)

The time goes by so fast. It's amazing. Thanks for the reminders of what we had!

JoeinVegas said...

Wait a minute - I liked that almost bald look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39YUXIKrOFk&tracker=False

sandra said...

Oh, there is so much on that list that I miss. You made me "homesick" for the 90s. Yes, there are a lot of things I would rather not relive...but oh! Being carefree and having so much silly FUN!!

SuperBee said...

These lists are amazing. I graduated high school in 1998, and was in Atlanta (on a school trip...) in 1996, and this post TOTALLY took me back there. The 90s were good times...

SuperBee said...

These lists are amazing. I graduated high school in 1998, and was in Atlanta (on a school trip...) in 1996, and this post TOTALLY took me back there. The 90s were good times...

seryan said...

Thank you for assuring me I'm not the only person on the planet who didn't go wild over The Crow.

rosie-b said...

I glad that brown lipstick stayed in the 90's. It made anyone who wore it look like a corpse.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you mentioned 85 cent gas. I can remember it being 88 cents and taking about $13 to fill up. No one else my age seems to remember. I was beginning to think I was crazy.

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Search

Loading...

Followers

There was an error in this gadget