Monday, February 21, 2011

A Non-Nasty Assed Recipe

I've had a couple requests lately via email and Twitter for Non-Nasty Assed recipes and I thought for President's Day I'd oblige.

It may seem that I am anti-casserole, but the truth is that I don't really mind my food mixed together as long as it doesn't involve canned soup, mayo, any kind of crushed chip, canned vegetable or Velveeta. To prove that I will eat a casserole under the right circumstances, I thought I'd share with you my favorite casserole. This is my go-to potluck dinner offering. This is what I make for new parents, families of people in the hospital and for funerals. Sometimes I just make it for my own dear enjoyment. It's excellent, easy and not too unhealthy at all. I love it and the recipe is from Southern Living, which is where I find quite a few of my favorite recipes, including my squash casserole and lemon sweet potato pie which are two all-time favorites as well. Whenever I make this casserole I also make steamed or sauteed green beans to go with it. They seem to compliment the dish a lot, as does cranberry sauce, but I put cranberry sauce on everything.

Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole

Yield: Makes 6 servings

Ingredients

  • 1  (6.2-ounce) package fast-cooking long-grain and wild rice mix
  • 1/2  cup  butter or margarine
  • 1  small onion, chopped
  • 1/4  cup  all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2  cups  chicken broth
  • 3  cups  chopped cooked chicken
  • 1 1/2  cups  half-and-half
  • 1  (6-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
  • 1  (4.5-ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
  • 1  tablespoon  chopped fresh parsley
  • 1  teaspoon  salt
  • 1/2  teaspoon  pepper
  • 1  (2.5-ounce) package sliced almonds

Preparation

Cook rice mix according to package directions; set aside.
Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, and saute until tender. Add flour, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add broth, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
Stir in rice, chicken, and next 6 ingredients. Spoon into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Top with almonds.
Bake at 350° for 15 to 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I make what my Grandmother called "Train Wreck" for potlucks...

Maybe that's my training as a Trauma/ER nurse.

;)

-- J

JoeinVegas said...

Sounds good - thanks

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Search

Loading...

Followers

There was an error in this gadget