Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Nasty Assed Recipes - Superbowl Edition

All I was doing was looking for a simple, original dip recipe to take to our friend's Superbowl party this Sunday. I wanted something not too unhealthy and a little different, you know, not just pouring the onion soup powder into the sour cream this time. I wanted inspiration. Did I find it? No. Instead, I found what may well be the Nastiest Assed Recipe of all time. I kid you not. I can't think of a recipe worse than this.


But it's just a dip you say. How bad could it be? Oh, it's bad.


It's a dip made from pureed White Castle burgers and mustard packets. Apparently it won a cook-off the burger chain sponsored a few years back and someone thought it tasted good. I can not freaking imagine that someone could put this in their mouth without instantaneously puking.  Here it is people. Please don't bring this to your friend's Superbowl party or you will never be asked back.

"Spicy White Castle Dip

2000 Cookoff Winner

10 White Castle hamburgers
1 (8-oz.) pkg. cream cheese
3 White Castle Dusseldorf mustard packets
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
9 oz. of hot pepper jack cheese, chunked
2/3 cup milk
2 tbsp. parsley flakes
Mix cream cheese and mustard together and spread on bottom of large, shallow serving dish. Spread onions evenly on top of mixture. Put burgers in food processor until blended and spread evenly over onions. Cut cheese into chunks, add milk and melt in microwave for 1-2 minutes. Stir until creamy. Pour cheese mixture over burgers. Sprinkle parsley flakes on top. Heat for 3-4 minutes on high in microwave or 20 minutes in oven. Serve with a large bag of tortilla chips.
Submitted by Debbie Gardner of Loveland, OH"


Gross right? If anyone would dare to make this and try it and send me a picture and a review I will most definitely post your picture and a link to your blog if you have one. I'd love to know, in some sick, curious way, how this looks and tastes. I picture it as looking like barf and tasting similarly.


Now, in all seriousness, the issue of what dip I am taking to the Superbowl party still remains. Martha Stewart made a sweet potato hummus last week that looked great. On the less healthy end, Guy Fieri made a pizza dip on his game day themed show. I've also found several intriguing recipes for a buffalo chicken dip which excludes the gross parts (skin, bones, grease) of chicken wings for the best parts (hot sauce and blue cheese), but I might also make buffalo chicken meatballs, also seen on Martha. I haven't decided yet. Any suggestions?

18 comments:

Arwen said...

I love buffalo chicken dip myself, it's the best. You can use chicken breast so it's not all yucky. Awesome. It ALWAYS disappears at food days at my work. It's great, you can make it full fat or low fat and no one can tell because of the hot sauce. In fact, last year, two of us ended up bringing it for food day and mine got eaten first (and it was completely fat free and I didn't tell a soul).

Robin said...

Check out these buffalo chicken rolls! I just found this blog last week. http://canyoustayfordinner.com/2011/01/31/buffalo-chicken-rolls/

Head Ant said...

I'll make it! I was going to ask you about a collaborative on making the Nasty Assed Recipes. I'm a new blogger starting out. I think making these recipes would be a fun way to dive in. Or start dieting.

Kerry said...

They lost me when they said to puree my beloved White Castle burgers. Ugh. No.

I'd go for the pizza dip.

Alessandra said...

My sugestion:

http://mideastfood.about.com/od/appetizerssnacks/r/muhammara.htm

I´ve made it once and it was a huge hit. I added to the recipe a tiny pinch of cinnamon an loved the result. You could also make tzaziki and babaghanoush to keep the theme.

Maria said...

I love how they threw in "2 tbsp parsley flakes" to class the recipe up. It didn't work.

To Alessandra: The muhammara recipe sounds delicious. My mom and grandma make muhammara all the time. However, my mom chops up the walnuts fine while my grandma leaves them chunky. Overall, people who have tried both their muhammaras prefer my mom's because of the finely chopped walnuts. Sorry grandma!

Erica said...

I love homemade hummus with a whole head of roasted garlic in it, and really runny restaurant style salsa that's near impossible to find in a jar. Not exactly creative, but both taste so much better homemade that I consider them a real treat.

Lis said...

I love buffalo chicken dip as well. I have a friend who makes it every year for Super Bowl and it is always one of the first things to disappear... I'm pretty sure she uses the recipe on the bottle of Frank's Red Hot sauce.

jmm said...

I am having a Super Bowl party, I don't even care about the Super Bowl. I do want to make several awesome dips. I'm looking for recipes, spinach dip, crab dip, blue cheese dip. A bunch of fattening stuff that I would normally never make. Epicurious and Food52 have some good looking recipes. That white castle thing is unbelievable!

Marisa said...

As far as dip recipes go, food52.com has a couple of good looking ones up on their homepage at the moment. The caramelized onion dip (truly, just a foodie version of the old onion soup standby) sounds pretty darn good. on

catherine said...

That does sound really nasty-assed, but I havn't had supper yet and it kinda made my mouth water, LOL. It probably looks exactly like barf, but it it shouldn't taste too bad. like cheeseburgers I imagine.

Life in the mom lane said...

I always make hoagie dip and everyone always LOVES it! You serve it with french baguettes sliced up... You use equal amounts of ham, turkey & bologna and American cheese- add some shredded lettuce chopped onion & tomatoes... then use Hellmans mayonnaise (it HAS to be Hellmans) It is delicious!!!!

Alessandra said...

Maria, when I made it, I really just threw everything in the blender. I imagine your grandma would have smacked me. But what can I say, I like creaminess!

Alex said...

No burger should be pureed. Yuck. That being said, I've made the dip below for a couple parties now and it has been a big hit at both. It tastes great with pita chips and is definitely something out of the norm. I like a little extra parsley for freshness.

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000001065536

Kirby said...

I saw this a few days ago - sounds very yummy and I'll be making it for first summer event on my new deck: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/01/shrimpo-de-gallo/

One Mean MFA said...

The best part of this recipe is the parsley flakes. Classy.

Vic said...

Nobody ever starts a conversation about their trip to Ohio with, "The food was amazing."

Courtney said...

I bet somebody was smoking a Jerry-sized bowl when they thought of that recipe. Nasty-assed indeed!

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers

There was an error in this gadget