Sunday, February 27, 2011

Maid A Mess - Part 3

I had a bad gut feeling about Kimmy. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. It wasn't only that I thought she lied at Christmas and it wasn't only her slacking on the job. No, there was something else about her that was bugging me, if only I knew what it could be and I felt like we couldn't trust her anymore.

Things went down Super Bowl weekend. My grandmother, aunt and cousin Bella came down to visit and meet Baby Lawns that weekend. They arrived on Thursday and were going home on Sunday. They were staying at my parents' house. My parents though, were scheduled to go on vacation Saturday. The plan was for my relatives to continue staying at my parents' house without my parents there Saturday night and then leave for the airport from there Sunday morning. I guess Kimmy didn't realize that.

My parents departed Saturday afternoon and we stayed at their house visiting and playing with the baby. I was wiped out. Baby Lawns was (I know now) teething and gassy, and had been extremely fussy. She hadn't been sleeping and I was at my wits end, so we decided to make it an early evening. We got take out Chinese and when we finished Husband and I decided to go ahead home. My relatives were tired too and wanted to go up to their rooms and read and relax before their trip back home the next day. They said goodnight and Husband and I cleaned up the kitchen and got Baby Lawns together to go home.

My parents told Kimmy to take the week off since they weren't going to be home and to come back to work when they got back. She said she was glad to have a vacation.

But then, just as we were packing up, in comes Kimmy. It was around eight at night and she seemed very surprised to see us there.

"Oh, um, I forgot my phone charger so I had Paul drive me back here to get it and plus I left a load of laundry in the washer and I can't leave it there all week. Your mother will get so mad at me if the wash gets all moldy," Kimmy said.

Suspicious, but whatever.

Husband and I got home. We live about a five minute walk away.

"Funny," I said, "I didn't see Paul waiting outside for Kimmy. If she just needed to run in, why didn't he wait for her?"


We got home, gave the baby a bath and I nursed her some. About forty minutes had gone by when Baby Lawns began to throw a royal fit because her stomach hurt and I realized I had forgotten her bottle of gas medicine back at my parents.


"Do you want me to go back and get it?"Husband asked. 


I said I did and he left on his skateboard. Naturally while he was gone the baby fell asleep and was fine. He came back with the medicine and then said he was going to go back and get his car out of the driveway and bring it back to our house. He had left it there earlier in the day.


I didn't hear from him for forty minutes and I was starting to get mad/ concerned so I called him.


"You'll never believe this. I'm in the car and I'm chasing down Kimmy. I have to go. I'll call you right back!!"


To Be Continued...




6 comments:

Vic said...

Ahhhh! Cliffhanger.

SunSpotBaby said...

Not "Ahhhh! Cliffhanger," more like ARRRRRGGGGGHHHH cliffhanger!!!

Cristina S said...

Oh Lord, I have 7000 alternative endings for Kimmy!

janet from chicago said...

Dear Wide Lawns:

I think my toughest parenting decision was on the front down sleeping thing when my son achieved the ability to roll over in his crib. The el trains in Chicago all have face-up-to-wake up posters in the cars. I was full of sids paranoia and developed a true belief in back sleeping.

At four months, the beginning of the horror began - the joy of gross motor control achievement of rolling over, the despair of it always occurring right before baby fall asleep. I used to wait a few minutes, then try to roll him back over. Sometimes he'd stay asleep, then pretty much immediately roll back over on his face, at which point I'd try to roll him back. Or, he'd wake up which was a complete fail, because then he'd start to cry.

My sids paranoia drove me to randomly go into his room to watch him sleep, because scientifically a watched baby should never fall subject to sids, right? The rolling front sleeping thing was making me crazy.

The moral of this story is that I finally just had to accept that even if I could keep him from rolling as he went to sleep, he could roll at any time during the night anyway, and I just had to get used to finding him on his front when I went into his room. Son is 3yr9m and he still sleeps on his front. I sleep on my front. Are you a front sleeper? Does your husband front sleep?

Go wide lawns! You rock & we love you!

Melanie said...

You really know how to string us along, don't you? :)

I'm enjoying the heck out of this story......

Dayna said...

Please hurry back!!

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers

There was an error in this gadget