Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Stuck Baby Update

I wanted to thank everyone who has emailed me or commented both on here and on Twitter their words of encouragement and support about Baby Lawn's imminent arrival. I haven't had time this week to write everyone back, and I usually try to be pretty good about my correspondence, so I apologize. I truly love and appreciate hearing from all of you and your kindness and advice has really helped me a great deal. It's amazing that so many bloggers complain about trolls and criticism, especially when it comes to all things baby. I feel so lucky not to have experienced that (knock on wood). I also haven't gotten any wacko advice. In fact, I've gotten excellent, sensible advice which I've taken, so thanks everyone!

I went to the doctor yesterday to see about when I'd need to be induced. Nothing has progressed at all. My body is still making zero preparations to expel the baby. The doctor said if he induced me now that it wouldn't work, my body and the baby would go into distress, causing unnecessary suffering and would force me to need an emergency C-section. This scenario is best avoided. I'm going back on Friday to see if anything has happened, since this is Week 40 after all and all doctors involved have said that I must not pass Week 40. If nothing has happened by Friday I am going to the hospital Monday night, no ifs ands or buts about it and this baby will be out by Tuesday, firmly securing her spot as a Scorpio.

And that's the story. I can't figure out why my body isn't making any preparations at all. I worry that on some karmic level the baby is afraid of displeasing me by arriving before the house is ready. I don't want my child to worry about pleasing me. Then I worry that something is just wrong with my body. My body has a long history of not cooperating with any of my plans for it after all. I asked the doctor and he said not to worry about it. Oddly enough the same thing happened to my mother, leading to my "barbaric" birth. Apparently my mother had literally 50 shots of something in her leg to try to dilate her, but nothing worked. She doesn't know what the shots were and who knows what they used back then in Millpond Backwards Assed Hospital. The doctor also said not to worry about having an experience like my mother's because that just does not happen anymore, at least not under his watch.

Some people have made comments to me about induction and doctors wanting their free time, etc. implying that induction was wrong and dangerous. Please understand that this induction is medically necessary and not for anyone's convenience. I don't want to get into the gory details of my medical conditions, but I have been told by the perinatologist that because of the high levels of antibodies in my system that the placenta could be attacked and could break down which would lead to the baby's death. This is unlikely, but not something to mess with and the odds of 1 in 1,000 were enough to make me shout for them to bring on the Pitocin. If you are curious about my antibody condition, I have an ANA titer of 350. Normal is around 30, so mine is ten times higher than normal. If you know about medical stuff I am, thank God, negative on SSA and SSB, which can cause heart conditions in a fetus and have twice tested positive for Lupus Anti-Coagulant and twice tested negative for it. I also have well-diagnosed auto-immune thyroid disease and am RH negative, so I took a Rhogam shot to prevent me from making antibodies against the baby, being that my body loves making antibodies. I think I'll get another one of those in the hospital.  None of this stuff has in any way affected my pregnancy. It has been miraculous in that regard. It's just that it's all had to be monitored a lot. Yesterday the nurse told me "this baby has been good to you." I liked the sound of that. I think she has too, except for the puke, but I don't blame her. I just realized that I got into the gory details anyway. Oh well.


So that's it. We're in a holding pattern, which has been nice because I'm getting my house ready and it's basically livable now, if only disorganized.


I promise you that as soon as I go to the hospital and as soon as Baby Lawns gets here that I will let all of you know.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear W.L.,
You will both be OK, Love you.
Lil Skraps

Melanie said...

Thanx for the update! I'm so excited for you and your family.

As always, I can't wait for the next installment of your blog... because no matter what the topic of the day is, you always do the best darn job of writing it in a way that's interesting and entertaining.

Dyanne said...

I'm very happy that it's working out with the house timing. Baby Lawns just wants to come out when she can go to her real home. :-)

Jean_Phx said...

Thinking strong and good thoughts for you over the next few days!

Alessandra said...

Good Luck for you and Baby Lawns!

Gosh woman, you´re going to end up convincing me to reproduce too.

Shannon Culver said...

I gotta tell you that my sister, in your honor, taped rice to her toes today. She's now two days past her due date and desperate to birth this kid, who, like Baby Lawns, has been sideways and upside down and seems in no hurry at all to be in the right position to make an escape. I'm hopeful for both of you that things will happen soon, naturally, easily, eventfully, and smoothly!

Lunch Buckets said...

It's almost time! (excited and happy for you)

MtnMama said...

Just reiterating what happened to me: breech baby, tried everything to turn her, zero success. She was/is perfectly healthy and so am I, so please don't believe it has anything to do with anything other than whimsical random stuff that happens. I had to have a c-section because they didn't want me to go into labor. Six and a half years later, I can say it was fine, and you will be too.

Robin in Ohio said...

Dear W. L.
Relax and let it be. Breathe deeply and trust in your doctor. It will be fine, my dear!

Will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers!

jennifer said...

may awesomeness be bestowed upon your family

kerry said...

I'm told babies have their own timetable, and yours seems to be doing the same thing. I guess she's happy being not-yet-born!

I suspect she will continue to be happy once she is born.

Sending good wishes your way for a smooth, healthy birth!

Katri said...

Good luck with your baby things! I was actually wondering yesterday how Mini Lawns is doing, which is probably the reason why I had a pregnancy dream last night, haha. Anyway, I can only speak for myself, but I totally won't mind reading more babyfied (Yes, it's a word.) posts in the future, I'm sure all your readers know you're not gonna be posting pictures of poo or anything! Just wanted to say that :)

Breton Wench said...

Hang on in there - it will be fine in the end. And BL has loads of aunties waiting when she arrives , alll wanting to coo over her.......

mcgrimus said...

My wife went through almost the exact situation. Don't let fear get to you.

Here's a writing exercise for you. Write about you giving birth. It's difficult and painful at times, but ultimately you are on the other side of that seemingly impenetrable wall: you have your baby in your arms, and you can look forward to filling in that baby book with all of those milestones.

Know that writing a story and making a baby are two creative endeavors. And you're about to "publish" in a big way. ;)

EricaM said...

Oh my Gosh WL. I had a dream you came to hang out in my apartment. Um, I don't even live in an apartment. And you were really pregnant, and just acting all casually. I must've been reading your blog before bed..

Diane Laney Fitzpatrick said...

Oh my god, don't get induced!! Just kidding. I swear, all three times when I was pregnant no matter what I was doing - from which maternity top I wore, to what kind of water I drank, to which hospital I was going to - there was someone who would say, "Oh my god, don't do that! I have a friend who did that and ______ happened." I was pregnant and drinking a glass of Sprite at a wedding reception and someone - a stranger - came up to me and said, "My friend had a baby with birth defects and her doctor told her it was because she drank too much Sprite." That's when I learned that you can't will your water to break on someone's shoes.

Baby Lawns is clearly a thinker and a decision maker. I'm sure she'll understand that the doctor wants her to come out Monday.

So excited for you.

JoeinVegas said...

Hmmm, trying to think of some really strange birthing advice to give you.
Sorry, can't come up with anything.
Good luck with what the doctor advises.

booda baby said...

I know nothing about babies except that it's so fun when they're born and even more fun as they grow up and way over here, on the edge of California, we've made a little spot in the our heads for baby lawns. Whenever she gets here.

Lauren said...

You might remember me, I emailed you a little while ago about my own impending little girl's birth! I was scheduled to be induced also, but I started going into labor. I did labor for awhile (with an epidural lol) but it ended up that baby girl's heartrate was dropping so I had a c-section. If you want to know how that went I'd be happy to chat with you, but just know it's not so bad really!!!

Shannon Culver said...

You, and your apparently NOT wacko baby doctor, are genius! Rice taped to my sister's toes flipped the baby head down and she's ready for the big event. She thanks and thanks you! By the way, this is #7 for her. Her advice is to ignore all the advice, but listen to your own body and do what feels right for you.
Look forward to your birth arrival announcement. All will be fine - no matter what.
Shannon

kjl said...

Good luck WL! You have lots of people pulling for you. Hope everything goes super smoothly.

Delainie said...

I wish I had your way with words. I failed at trying to get my friend to tape rice to her toes.

Good luck to you and Baby Lawns!!

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Search

Loading...

Followers

There was an error in this gadget