Monday, May 17, 2010

Signature Look of the 80s #3 - Head to Toe Large Floral Print

One of the things I swore I would finally get done during my vacation this year is the sorting and scanning of various old photographs. They are from all sides of my family in all eras. There aren't a lot of them. As I've lamented before, we didn't take an awful lot of pictures and many of our photos aren't great quality, but I do have some. Today as I was going through the envelopes full of photos, I ran across the closest picture I have of my famous mullet. You can read the story about how I ended up with the mullet here. It's very tragic. This photograph also highlights some of the worst 80s fashion ever to grace my poor, pubescent frame - the rose patterned stirrup pant, over-sized sweatshirt outfit.  I was head to toe, pink cabbage roses. I had just turned twelve years old. I suffered from a hideous haircut and this is how my mother dressed me. It's no wonder I grew up to become a writer. Now what really brought this outfit over the top was, as I mentioned before, the stirrup pants. Please don't let these ever come back in style Dear Lord. Please. I'm praying. Of course with stirrup pants, one had to wear large, scrunchy socks OVER them. Mine were pink to match the roses. I also wore pink and grey, high-top LA Gear sneakers that looked like they'd match a space suit because they were so padded and quilted. (Pink and grey was huge in the 80s. Note the decor in the restaurant we're in.) Everything about this outfit was dreadful, yet I'd wear it to school every week and just hide between classes when this big Italian girl named Stephanie would come looking for me to slam me into the lockers. It's no wonder I look so depressed in this photo.  And if you're wondering, that's my dad, my mom and my sister on the other side of the table. My sister's sporting the bowl cut there. This is before my mom, in the throes of perm-mania, got ahold of her too.

6 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I had at least 1 dress and 1 jumper out of similar fabrics. Why were we obsessed with wearing grandma's drapes back then?

Mullets were actually kind to us curl heads. I went more extreme with mine, I actually shaved the sides of my head.

p.s. Your dad is HAWT!

Anonymous said...

Oh, man. Your Dad's Miami Vice look is perfect. I used to wear stuff like that to clubs.

- lowwall
class of '85

Anonymous said...

Hate to break it to ya...

http://store.americanapparel.net/search.html?r=&s=stirrup

kerry said...

I remember the cabbage roses and all the floral... And all the pink and grey...

Moon boots, banana clips, jelly shoes...

Stephanie said...

American Apparel is bringing the 80s fashion back like no other. Stop!!

Your dad's handsome and your mom's pretty <3

Albany Jane said...

I haaated stirrup pants. The elastic bugged me out, so I'd always make my mom cut them out.

Oh, those pink roses. One of my "first day of school"/"school picture" dresses was almost exactly the same type of print. And Jessica McClintock, naturally.

I'd also like to add my sentiments of shock/fear at American Apparel. Dudes, no. No.

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers

There was an error in this gadget