Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Nasty Assed Recipes - Spruance Street Edition

I really agonized over whether or not to call this a Nasty-Assed Recipe because I loved it so much as a child, but ultimately I realized, in spite of myself, that a cake poked with holes that were filled with multi-colored Jello drizzles and topped with nothing more than Cool-Whip had to qualify. I really considered making this today. I really did. I'm on a crazed cake baking binge which started with the Mother's Day Watergate Gate, which I couldn't stand after daring myself to take a bite. After that I made a yellow cake with chocolate frosting and then yesterday I made a carrot cake with homemade cream cheese frosting for a friend's daughter's graduation. Now I have book club coming up on Friday and I have to make another cake for that. I seriously thought about a poke cake, but then I realized two things. First, if I took something like that to my book club they'd probably throw me out. Second, I don't think I would really like Poke Cake as a grown-up. Every now and then I get a wild hair and decide to retry some romanticized food from my childhood that I swore I loved and then when I taste it as a grown-up I'm all like "EWWWW Gawd how did I eat THAT??" Spaghettios and Nutterbutters come to mind as examples of foods I've attempted to reintroduce with no success. I liked Poke Cake as a child because it was so pretty to my young eyes with all those colors. Back then I liked Cool Whip too because I didn't know that real whipped cream existed. I actually mean that. I thought there was only Cool Whip. Until we got the ice cream maker, I also didn't know that cream period existed, whipped or not. If you would have asked me I would have said it was a powder that comes in a brown can and grownups put it in coffee (and I would have been referring to Creamora). So I think if I went to all the trouble to buy a bunch of boxes of Jello, most of which I would end up wasting anyway, and make a whole cake and then even if I made real whipped cream, I just don't think it would work for me anymore. So I decided I could let it go. It was a Nasty-Assed Recipe. And for your delight, here is the recipe, should you be braver than I am and want to make one:
JELLO - POKE CAKE 
1 white cake mix
1 sm. (4 oz.) Jello mix, any flavor
8 oz. Cool Whip
1 c. boiling water
1/2 c. cool water
Make cake according to package directions. Cool cake 20 minutes. Using utility fork poke cake at 1/2 inch intervals. Make Jello using 1 cup boiling water and 1/2 cup cold water. Pour Jello slowly over cake covering all holes. Chill 3 - 4 hours. Spread with Cool Whip.

Thank you Cooks.com for the recipe and above photo courtesy of Kraftrecipes.com (theirs of course looks prettier than a real one and is probably made from Styrofoam, drizzled with ink from a color printer and iced with joint compound).

11 comments:

April said...

As an adult, I still love poke cake. You should definitely make it again, I don't think you'll regret it. It's one of the few of my hillbilly relatives recipes that I still make.

Light Pollution said...

wow, that is horrific. i had something recently called 7 up cake... the cake rises from the carbonation in the 7 up... which i guess is kind of cool. but it's also disgusting. who comes up with this crap?

i haven't posted in a while but i've been following you! i use to be "axioms and art" - i started a new blog.

Jan said...

We used to eat this in the 1970's! I loved it then.

Anonymous said...

I've never had Poke Cake but I'm interested. I'm the most popular dessert maker in the family because I can do miracles with Cool Whip, cream cheese and Jello. I must have some Redneck-by-proxy floating in my DNA.

At my age I need all the preservatives I can get.

~Maureen~

June Gardens said...

Hells yes. You are so one of my people.

jmm said...

I know its trashy, but it's pretty and looks good to me. It would be cool to try to make a less trashy version, with a good cake recipe, real whipped cream or real a light meringe like frosting from scratch.

Tat2mom said...

Poke cake is anything but nasty. I'll chew a kids arm off to get one. lol I think I know what I'm making for the kids graduation party this weekend. lol

rockygrace said...

I admit it, I love poke cake. *sigh*

Chriseee said...

As someone on Weight Watchers I make this cake all the time angel food cake, sugar free jello and cool whip free its only 2 points - so I usually make it when people are coming over so I can have cake with my coffee too

sha said...

I think I'm going to have to try the version Chris suggests. My roommate is diabetic with a huge streak of redneck in his blood. I'm sure he'll love it and I can get rid of all that sugar free Jello in the pantry.

xtine said...

We call it Jello Cake, and it's fucking tasty. It might be one of the few instances where I'll eat cool whip.

You know jello shots, yes? Jello made with booze instead of liquor?

Well, I never mastered Jello shots. And I made a Jello cake with boozed-up jello, instead of normal jello - with diesel as the primary source of alcohol. Oops. You could pass out just by SMELLING that cake. The whole thing got eaten, though.

...I think I need to make another one!

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Search

Loading...

Followers

There was an error in this gadget