Monday, February 22, 2010

My Parents Went to Asheville and All I Got Was This Trashcan

Do you remember those old tee shirts kids used to wear back when I was little (and some of you were too)?

Well I didn't get a tee shirt, I got a trash can. All weekend long I'd been looking forward to seeing what on earth rainbow boots were. My parents got back last night and Husband and I went to see them and have some dinner. I couldn't wait for the rainbow boots, but alas, at the last minute they decided against them, thinking maybe I wouldn't like them, and lo and behold, I get this. A new, beach themed, sea shell trash can. I also got some adorable shirts from the J Crew outlet, which I love. I've been told that Asheville has the J Crew outlet to end all J Crew outlets. This alone is reason to move there. The trashcan did not come from the J Crew outlet. Sorry, J Crew is not currently offering a line of waste receptacles. Maybe next season. I'm looking forward to my new Madras Plaid, Boyfriend Recycling Bin personally. I'm getting it in Sea-sprayed Mint which will be gently distressed so as to appear vintage.

Anyway, I like the trashcan and am very grateful for it, but I did find it to be a bit random. I wonder what the thought process was on this gift. I wonder why they saw this trashcan and felt that I, of all people, must have it, that my life will not be complete without this new trashcan. Now, in all fairness, the trash can matches my apartment, which is beige, as you all know, and has a beachy, sea shell theme, so that is probably why they got it. I just thought it was a funny, and unexpected souvenir from a trip to the mountains.

That said, I promised you a picture of the boots, so I had to deliver with a picture of the trashcan, in its new home, my bathroom. You have now seen my living room, my kitchen and my bathroom. That's pretty much my whole house. I don't feel like showing my bedroom anytime soon because I don't have it looking how I want it yet.

I put the trashcan on the sink because I didn't want you all to see the ungodly amount of my hair that is on the floor. I clean it every stinking day, but to no avail whatsoever. I don't know how I'm not bald. When I put the trashcan on the sink Canela immediately jumped up, sniffed it, asked me why I put it on the sink and if there was anything inside it that she could shred up all over the house and then, for no reason, started staring at the ceiling, as she is often wont to do. It creeps me out. I don't know what this cat's fascination with the ceiling is. She'll sit and stare at the ceiling for hours and there's never anything up there.

So there you go people. My new trashcan. I have a long and trying day. I have a meeting at school which I have no desire to attend and will be teaching late. I'm nervous about some work issues and very unsettled at the moment. So please, think good thoughts in my direction because I need them and I'll be back tomorrow afternoon with a better story for you all. Thanks.

And don't be jealous just because you don't have a new trashcan like I do.

15 comments:

Gabrielle said...

Canela's like the Inverse Ceiling Cat.

ElectricDaisy said...

This post was hilarious, WL! Your Madras plaid Boyfriend Recycling Bin and Canela's face/wondering if there was anything shreddable in the waste bin really cracked me up.

Sending good thoughts your way.

Laurie said...

I AM jealous! I LOVE your new trashcan. My house is beachy too, and that trashcan would feel right at home here. A MUCH better gift than Rainbow Boots. :)

Anonymous said...

The new trash can is okay. However, the kitty is just fabulous! :)

Anonymous said...

I've learned (slowly, reluctantly) that when cats stare at the ceiling, it's best to check for mice in the attic.

Anonymous said...

I still see those t-shirts !!!

I'm a rainbow lover, and I hope
those boots get on your feet one
day soon.

Great post as always.The trashcan
is, hmmm, a practical themed gift.

Somewhere over the rainbow....

:)

Cathi in Canada

Canela is gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Canela reminds me so much of my kitty. My kitty stares at the ceiling as well (well that's not the only reason). Very, very creepy. She somtimes bats at invisible whatevers and talks to the whatevers. Once, during her "fits", I took a picture and there was a ball of light that darted across the ceiling. It's debatable, but I think it's a ghost. Naturally, others think that I've lost my mind and say it's just a reflection. Regardless it's creepy. Anyways! I am very jealous of that trashcan and even though it doesn't fit my decor, I want one too!

Lunch Buckets said...

I am SO disappointed that there are no rainbow boots. About that other stuff - Let me know if you need someone "taken care of" ;)

Anonymous said...

Bugs!

Cats stare at the ceiling and walls because their hunting bugs ...spiders ...

My cat is the best bug killer/tracker ever.

Anonymous said...

Canela is communing with Ceiling Cat, of course!

Michael said...

I think your parents appreciate irony. I mean, here you live near the beach and do not have a seashell trashcan with they then provided. From the mountains. Sweet.

Rebecca @ Diary of a Virgin Novelist said...

Your parents sound kind of rad.

booda baby said...

I sort of think you scored. A trash can is one of those things I can't be bothered to go shopping for but if it showed up in my bathroom, replacing the cheap plastic one, I'd be pretty happy.

I like Anon's kitty advice , but if I looked for mice everywhere Luna stared, I'd be looking for mice everywhere.

JoeinVegas said...

Oh, so looking forward to rainbow boots too, sorry.
Perhaps she can see the ghosts.

Sinclair said...

Sending lots of positive energy your way! Your new school and students are very lucky to have you. I wish you were my teacher... Well, sometimes you are.

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Search

Loading...

Followers

There was an error in this gadget