Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Kindlin'

I'm really excited because I got a Kindle for Valentine's Day. I've been wanting one for a while for a few reasons. First, I just don't want to be one of those people with a house full of books, yet I love to read more than anything. I have such limited space that if I keep getting books, my house will soon resemble a used book store. I sell most of my books on Half.com when I finish. Some I give away to friends and I try to just keep the most special books. Some books I'll never give up, like my cook books and art books. Decluttering is as important to me as reading, so the Kindle was the perfect solution. I can read as much as I want and not junk up the house. The Kindle also works well for traveling and it's good to take to school because it saves room in my school bag and lightens my load considerably. Lugging around a case of books isn't fun.

I didn't think I'd be lucky enough to actually get a Kindle though, so I was really surprised to find out that was my Valentine's gift. I just love it. It's small, light and sleek and it holds 1,500 books. Wow. I decided to immediately order a case for it to protect it in my school bag.

Last night the case arrived via UPS. I was home alone, cooking dinner when the knock came. Now I know our UPS guy. He's been delivering this route for ages and I certainly have ordered a lot of stuff from Amazon in the past few years. Husband is always ordering stuff with cords. I ordered most of my books for grad school through there, and because I hate shopping, I order most gifts through Amazon too. Because of this, I've gotten pretty familiar with my UPS guy. He's a young guy, with a strong Southern accent. If I had to guess,I'd say he was maybe from Tennessee or Alabama or somewhere similar. I'm basing my guess on the quality of his accent.

As I signed for my package, he asked me a question.

"Hey, do you got a fireplace?"

"A fireplace? No."

"Oh," he said, "Well, can I ask you another question?"

I said "Sure." He flipped the box around and looked at it puzzled.

"Well, it's just ever since Christmas or so, I've been noticin' all these boxes coming from Amazon sayin' 'kindle' on the outside and for the life of me, I cain't figure out why so many people down here is orderin' fire wood from Amazon. I thought they sold books and gifts, but I swear I deliver a box at least once a day that says 'kindle' and the thing is, the boxes ain't that heavy. So, I sees this one comin' to you and I figure I can ask you, what are you going to do with kindlin' and why are you orderin' it from Amazon?"

"Well," I said, "It's A Kindle, not kindling. This isn't the actual Kindle. This is a cover for it."

"Is it some kinda fancy candle or something? And you got a candle holder?"

"Actually no. It's a little device that Amazon makes and it's kind of like a computer or a cell phone, but it's for books. You can store books on it electronically and read them and it's a lot smaller than a book. It saves a lot of room."

He looked at me like I had lost my mind.

"Let me show it to you," I said.

I went and got the actual device and demonstrated it. I let him look at it.

"So THIS is what all these people is buyin' around here. Wow. Ain't that neat!"

"You can even read some magazines on it too," I said.

"No way!"

"Yeah! It is neat."

"I'll be daggoned. All this time I thought people was orderin' firewood from Amazon because this winter has been so durned chilly down here. I thought all these Floridians didn't know they could just get kindlin' in their backyards or get one of them duraflame logs if they wanted to start a fire so bad."

"Nope. We're readin' books," I said.

"I'm gonna look into getting one too. I like to read a lot."

Bless his heart. I love my Kindle and my UPS man and in the interest of full disclosure, no, Amazon did not pay me to discuss their product. Jeez, I wish they would. I always wanted to be one of those bloggers who got free stuff, but it's never happened.

22 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Awww, what a sweet UPS man.

I was quite an older adult when I figured out what "Bridge ices before road" really meant. I always though the sign indicated a small puddle of ice on the road before the bridge. Now I know that the bridge will gather ice before the road does. Believe it or not, I'm brunette.

erin said...

Daggone! I got me a laptop for Valentines Day instead of a Kindle. My lifepartner is wise though...this way I have to share my gift with him. The Kindle would be ALL MINE.

Trillian said...

instead of buying books and selling them on half.com for a fraction of the price, why don't you just check them out of the library? :) save a lot of money that way

kr said...

I got a kindle last march on my birthday. I still love, love it! Take it pretty much everywhere.

Pudge450 said...

I LOVE my Kindle. Note, in case you have not discovered, you can get a Kindle app for your I-touch and also download the Kindle software to your computer. All 3 will keep up with the books you have downloaded and actually sync so that you can go to any of the 3 and pickup where you left off reading. This is good for me, because my husband absconds with my Kindle (to his smoking room) and I can continue reading anyway.

The thing I really love is that you can download a sample before you buy the book.

Have you tried Audible.com? Download audiobooks for your Ipod or other MP3 player. Totally love that too.

Janet said...

Dang! You should because you just convinced me I need a Kindle! I've been thinking about it for a while just for the getting rid of the clutter aspect of it. I'm glad you like it.

Maria said...

My husband wanted to get me a Kindle for Christmas but I said no. I like the feel of actually holding a book in my hands when I'm reading. I also figured I spend enough time at work staring at my computer screen. When I come home from work and want to relax... I'd rather stare at actual paper rather than another screen. But I still think it's a pretty genius idea.

Living in Muddy Waters said...

The sad thing is, as I was reading this post I felt like I should have been offended at the way you make Southern people sound...except that is exactly how they talk around my parts. I swear, Pop. 259's accent included "Bam-byoU-lance" and "Sigh-Reen".

Lis said...

I received a Kindle for Christmas last year (08 not 09), I've read well over 100 books on it since then, I am FULLY obsessed with it now. To the point that I now shop for purses with the consideration that they MUST have enough room for my kindle... (I used to carry teeny tiny purses that only fit my phone and wallet) It has seriously changed my life. LOVE! Best new tech ever!

mcgrimus said...

I agree with Trillian. Now that my library has its catalog online, it's a breeze finding what I need. And discovering I could request books from any branch in the county and have it delivered to my library completely changed the way I get my books. Yes, the Internet can be used for good!

Anonymous said...

So THAT'S what "Bridge ices before road" means...Good to know! :)

Dayna said...

I am going to say one thing as soon as I stop Laughing....


I JUST LOVE YOUR PEEPS!!!!

Eric said...

I think the kindle is a brilliant idea and a great way to save the newspaper and magazine industry.
cut production costs no delivery fees and really the only costs are content and layout.

Saddly I will avoid buying on until I know that when I purchase a book or a magazine that I wholly own what I bought with all the rights to backup or loan out as I see fit.

Further I really need to be guaranteed that my privacy is safe and if I want to order a copy of The Anarchists Cookbook or Johnny got his Gun that I will not wind up on some list and get a knock on my door at 4 am by the thought police.

So No DRM, When I buy it it is mine and cannot be deleted off of my device, and my privacy is protected.

These are all current issues surrounding Kindles specifically and digital rights and copyright law that have to be addressed for the common good and not to preserve out of date business models.

Sorry to soap box on your blog. I think they are really cool and I want one at some point too.

caroline said...

Bless his sweet lil country heart!

Cassandra said...

I recently got a Sony Reader(very similar to Kindle) and I love it as well - I'll love it even more once my local library starts offering e-books to sign out!

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of the Kindle but what I'm holding out for is the Entourage Edge. It folds like a book, has an ebook reader on one side and a netbook/tablet on the other side. Just waiting for the second generation release so most of the bugs get worked out.

Diane Laney Fitzpatrick said...

Congratulations on your new Kindle. I want one. I love books and holding an actual book in my hand, but for some times and places, a Kindle will get you reading when you otherwise wouldn't. So how can you not love that?

xtine said...

To echo the sentiments of two other commenters: why don't you use a library?
--
When I was little (and already an avid reader), I asked my mom why we never bought books, and always got them from the library.

Her answer was because we wouldn't have room to store all the books we read.

(Now that I'm older, I realize it was also out of fiscal necessity)

Rebecca @ Diary of a Virgin Novelist said...

Aaaww. That reminds me of when my little sis thought that my husband getting tenure meant he got to work there for 10 years.

JoeinVegas said...

That's nice of you to educate people like that.
But I too like the feel of a book, it would take some getting used to to convert.

English said...

I am sooooooo jealous. At first I thought I wanted the Nook, but the research says the Kindle is better. I'm saving for one. Congratulations!

Green said...

That's really cute. I saw someone on MUNI reading a Kindle and got all excited and totally leaned over her shoulder to see what it was like.

The only thing I don't like is it seems like not only do you have to buy the Kindle itself, but then you have to pay money each time you want to put a book on the Kindle too.

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Search

Loading...

Followers

There was an error in this gadget