Friday, December 18, 2009

Nasty Assed Recipes - Wedding Edition

I just had this brilliant idea that I would make breakfast for everyone tomorrow morning so we wouldn't have chaos trying to figure out what to eat, or a bunch of hungry people who want to stab each other. My ex-fiance had a mother who was certifiably psychotic but the woman could look like nothing else and she made this wonderful breakfast casserole thing that was so easy, in one dish and nicely fed a large group of people quickly. I want to make it but didn't have the recipe, so I started looking and God help me, I found something that made me literally cringe when I read it. I found a recipe as wrong as the nacho dip with Cool Whip in it. A Chipped Beef Casserole. My grandfathers, when they were alive, both adored cream chipped beef on toast. Maybe this was because they were both children of the Depression and also military men. One of them was a POW in a hole in the ground in Korea with nothing to eat but powdered milk and rice for six months. Because of that experience, there was nothing the man wouldn't eat, including creamed chipped beef on toast. Compared to half a year on powdered milk and rice, I'd probably think it was pretty tasty as well. But this recipe, I'm not sure even he would have eaten.
CHIPPED BEEF CASSEROLE
1/4 lb. cut up chipped beef
1 c. uncooked elbow macaroni
2 hard cooked eggs, diced
1 can condensed mushroom soup
1 c. milk
1/2 lb. (2 c.) grated cheddar cheese
2 tbsp. grated onion
Mix all ingredients. Pour into greased 1 1/2 to 2-quart casserole. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbly hot. Serves 4-6.

Comment: Easy to prepare and generally liked. Good.


Clearly, the best part of this recipe is the comment at the end. "Generally Liked." Mmm Hmm. Ok. Sure. I think the recipe would be "Universally Liked" if you switch out that fancy grated cheddar and replace it with some real man's cheese - Velveeta and then top the whole ordeal with some crushed potato chips. Sour cream and onion. Needless to say, we will not be having this as our pre-wedding breakfast tomorrow.

11 comments:

Emily said...

If I'm missing it forgive me, but I would LOVE to follow you on twitter and I can't find your ID.

Where are you?

Emren

MtnMama said...

Disturbing. Thank you for sharing, as always!

kerry said...

I hope everything goes smoothly for your sister's wedding. Congratulations and good wishes all around- and since you didn't post the recipe you're actually using, I would bet good food as well. **hugs**

accountantgrrl said...

Ahhhhh.....SOS Casserole. The breakfast of champions. ;-)

andrew said...

disgusting haha!!! thanks for sharing this

Melanie said...

This cassarole doesn't have very much liquid in it..... which would be needed to plump the uncooked macaroni.

Additionally, if it's only in the oven for 30 minutes, that doesn't give the uncooked macaroni much time to get tender.

Of course, these objections are on top of the ones you've already mentioned!

Aleta said...

Yeah - a recipe I will not try. Thanks for the warning about it!

Cupcake Forum said...

I think my mom used to make this when I was a kid, sans the eggs. Sure looks Depression era. (No wonder everyone was depressed back then...)

Delainie said...

I admit, I love chipped beef on toast. Skip the macaroni noodles and I'd totally eat that. I am disgusting. LOL

Anonymous said...

I have one you might like for brunch.

Approx 12 eggs lightly beaten
8 oz cream cheese
lump crab meat or seafood
fresh dill
melted butter (about 1/4 cup - optional)

Mix all together, pour in baking pan and bake at 350 for about 30 min. Subtle yet tasty flavors and no velveeta or potato chips!

Heather said...

Creamed chipped beef is the favorite breakfast of grandpops everywhere, I suspect. My Pop-pop (also a depression kid and a Navy man) always made it for us on xmas morning when we stayed with them when we were little. Disgusting!

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers

There was an error in this gadget