Sunday, July 05, 2009

Cats With Mohawks

As I mentioned, we're back staying at my parents' house (bathtub and BBQ!!!) for the summer while they RV around the country. They're having a great time. They've already been to Millpond and Washington DC (where they had a drink with Laura Ingraham of all people, right before she hosted O'Reilly the day after Michael Jackson's demise). From there they went to Aspen, then to Vegas and now they've parked the bus on a bluff in Malibu. Today, they're attending an honest to God celebrity wedding. It just doesn't get any cooler than my parents, I swear. I'm really happy for them having all these adventures and I promise if they have any exciting encounters with famous people that I'll report immediately. But that's not what this post is about. It's about cats with mohawks.

When we stay here at Casa dei Sogni, we bring our kitty Canela too. Canela loves having a big airy house to roam around in. When we were here last year, we were often startled, sometimes out of a dead sleep, by Canela howling and hissing like something possessed. It happened almost every day. One day Husband told me there was a black cat with a mohawk outside the back door and that Canela was fighting with it through the glass. This cat, with its fierce hair-do, was Pepper, the neighbor's cat who is lucky and gets to go outside. Pepper is the boss of the street and liked to come over and taunt and tease poor Canela, the unlucky indoor cat, who subsequently grew her own mohawk because she can be fierce and scary too. This went on every single day until we went back to our apartment last fall.

This summer, we wondered if it would happen again; if Pepper could smell Canela here or if she could somehow know Canela had returned. Friday it happened. Once again, the two mohawked cats were throwing themselves against a pane of glass, shrieking like two Tasmanian Devils. And the sick thing about it, was that I was excited. I was all like: "Yes!! Pepper's back! Cat fights!" What the hell is wrong with me that I find this behavior mildly amusing to the point where I guiltily look forward to it? I guess if the cats seemed like they were suffering or if they were harming themselves it would be different, but I swear these two really enjoy talking smack to one another and hitting the glass with their paws. I think it makes them feel like bad asses. Canela sits and waits at the door for Pepper to come and when it seems like they get out of control I open the door and shoo Pepper away. I also toss her the occasional Greenie because she's a cute kitty too. I'm not all evil. Am I?

4 comments:

Jeannie said...

Nah - you're just human.

There's something very amusing about watching little kids and domesticated animals strutting their stuff when there is absolutely no danger of them getting hurt.

Gina said...

Well, if you are evil, I am too. Cats are infinitely amusing. I used to crack up and my cat and my mom's cat talking shit when I would go home for holidays. it never came to blows, though.

Nanci said...

No, you are not evil! I do this as well. I have 2 cats and the roomie has 2 cats. My Fat Cat (hence the name) is awfully chunky and get chased all the time because she cannot get traction on the floor to get away. To me it is hysterical, to poor Fat Cat, it is terrifying! She gets so mad when I laugh, but I really can't help it!

JoeinVegas said...

We're into dogs, had too much of a good time watching the cats chase each other around.

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Search

Loading...

Followers

There was an error in this gadget