Saturday, June 13, 2009

My New Coffee Maker


I'm not going to lie to you. I've had a rough and tiring week. It had some great parts, but it also had a lot of aggravation and some wicked PMS which has not yet ended, unfortunately. Anyone know of any good, home remedies for it? But amazingly, the lap top is ok for now and the whole hard drive is backed up just in case. Even more amazingly, and I swear you are never going to believe this, after asking you guys to send me some money energy, I received a hundred dollar check in the mail for a poem I entered in a contest which won honorable mention! How wild is that? I decided to keep my word to the Universe. I said I wanted money to buy a better coffee maker and when the money arrived, I decided to upgrade the plastic cone. For a long time, I've had it in my head that pouring boiling water through plastic may not be a good idea. I dislike plastic. I try to avoid it, although that's impossible. I store my leftovers in glass containers and use waxed paper lunch baggies. At the same time, I really don't want an electric coffee maker that takes up space and is hard to clean and program. My kitchen is tiny after all and I like counter space. I also love the simplicity of the cone method. I love that I can clean it in about ten seconds and that it doesn't take electricity. I wanted a cone brewer that wasn't plastic though and I found it! It even has it's own little pot and the whole thing is porcelain and extremely affordable. I am overjoyed. I purchased it from a site called Sweet Marias and you can find it on this page if you scroll down. It's called the Porceelain #1 Filter Drip Pot Set. I wanted to share this site with you, not because I am getting paid to advertise for them, or for Mozy the other day, but just because I was amazed at the excellent service. Whenever I find something good I want to share it so other people can experience it too and so that good businesses are rewarded. Sweet Marias had good products, great prices and sent my coffee maker an hour after I ordered it. It hasn't arrived yet, but I'll let you know more once it gets here. (But if you were wondering about the whole putting ads on the blog thing, I applied over a month ago and have not yet been approved.) So this is all sincere, free advertising for a company that I was really happy to discover.

16 comments:

DRD1812 said...

That is adorable and made me so want to squee.

Congrats on getting a new coffee maker!

Devi said...

about the PMS. if you are already taking a multivitamin make sure it has enough B's in it. if you are not taking one then just pick up a B-Complex. if its a low dose then take it every day, if its high(75-100mg) then take it, once a day, about a week and a half before your period, until you start.
B's are water soluble so be sure to drink lots of water. and be prepared for neon urine. they also help with energy.
hope this is helpful!

Pickyknitter said...

hmmmm. i may have to change my electric coffee maker ways...

bebe said...

Hi! Try taking evening primrose oil for PMS. It really does help :)
However, you do have to take it everyday and I don't know if you want to add any more medications, even though this a herbal treatment, to your diet? A nice warm bath and some relaxing "me" time also seems to help to soothe PMS. sometimes you just have to get away from all the little things that could potentially bother you!

Pat said...

You've said it is not your style, but I absolutely LOVE my Cuisinart programmable coffee maker.

Once it's programmed, it's done unless you want to change the time the coffee starts dripping. I try to keep to the same wake up time every day, following a ritual to help with insomnia. :(

It makes me feel like someone makes me coffee every morning and I often wake to the wafting fragrance of coffee. A Delicious alarm. It also saves minutes in the morning, minutes I could waste reading other people's blogs!

Sinclair said...

Evening primrose oil and Vitamin E are good for breast tenderness.

As far as the raging, miserable woman who possesses me during PMS, I haven't found a cure to exorcise her. If you do, please share.

Sixteen Chickens said...

I share your aversion to plastic. Also, I'm not fond of the color yellow. I think it has something to do with sensory stimulation. There is a certain shade of blue (close to royal blue) that will make me vomit. Not immediately, but the more I stare at it the more ill I become. I had a music prof who had a favorite blue pantsuit in that color. When she wore that pantsuit I had to skip her class. Anyway, plastic, ugh, and now with a toddler in my home I am surrounded by it. It seems all childrens' toys are made from plastic.

MtnMama said...

I LOVE your porcelain coffee pot. Drip is lovely, and if I could figure out a way to put a timer on it (!) I'd still be using it full time... ha!
Flaxseed - various forms - is a great addition to your regimen. Also, as noted previously, the Bs are crucial. (they aid all the nerve endings functions) Lots of water and stretching and a little ibubrophen when necessary.
Massage therapy is nice.

Lastly, omg, I laughed; WL, considering how much "pull" you have with the "cosmos", did you really doubt that a direct request would pay off? (I've heard that specifics are really a key here)
;)

eleanorstrousers said...

Whoa. That is a pot for someone who takes their coffee seriously. After reading the comments, I now crave one like yours (for cute-ness) and a programmable one (because I don't do mornings). How much coffee can one girl drink?

FreeDragon said...

I don't know about curing PMS, but calicum helps with cramps during periods. Drink plenty of milk or take a supplement.

JoeinVegas said...

That device seems simple enough. What is your favorite brand of coffee to use?

jmm said...

Oh boy, I might have to order that porcelain #4 cone. I too am not crazy about using plastic and I don't have any space for a nice coffee machine. I've been making drip cone coffee forever and the plastic cones get kind of gross after a while. Yay!

Nicole said...

The coffee maker is super cute, but what I don't understand with this sort is how does the coffee stay hot? Do you have to heat the water first or will it do that while it's brewing? I'm a little confused.

TK said...

I LOVE Sweet Marias! I buy all my green coffee and home roasting supplies there, don't even get me started. Thom and Maria are as good as it gets in great stuff and awesome service!

I love your ceramic pour over, very stylin'. The only way to get a better cup is to use a Swiss Gold basket filter in the cone instead of paper. You'll get some mud, just don't drink the last swallow. You seriously get all the coffee oils so get a richer mouthfeel and all those great antioxidants! I use the plastic #4 on days where I want just one great cup of full caf, and I use a Technivorm Mocca Master I got from them 6 years ago on others. It looks like some rich geeky kid's science experiment but makes killer coffee.

Mslaylu said...

I am probably too late to help with the PMS cure, but when I get cramps I like to hang out in yoga's "bridge pose" for a minute or so ... it helps make my insides happier! :)
~Jules C
(http://yoga.about.com/od/yogaposes/a/bridge.htm)

gigiofca said...

I take french fries for PMS. That and a Coke. Bad habit. I should try the eve primrose as I heard it works. Another thing is to get a little bit more rest. Apparently it takes up quite a bit of energy. Squeezing in a nap once or twice before & during the cycle helps.

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Search

Loading...

Followers

There was an error in this gadget