Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Workshop

I'm in a workshop all week and we had an interesting assignment - to write a full, true story under 500 words that brought to two people to life on the page. That is hard. This was especially hard for me. I like to say that as a writer I'm more of a marathon runner than a sprinter. I'm in it for the whole 26 miles, sweating, dehydrated, cramping and crapping in my pants. But I could learn to be a little shorter and I tried really hard with this story. I tried so hard in fact, that instead of just the seven people in my class, I decided I wanted all thousand or so of you to read it too. Now this is a rough draft, written on the fly under duress. I have plans for it, so read it now, because I'll likely take it down, polish it up considerably, add and subtract some things and maybe get brave enough to send it off. Once you read it, I'd appreciate your comments. Does it work? Was it interesting? Did it 'hit' you? Was I singing? I had to really twist it to fit it into the constraints and I really wish I'd had time to drag it out some more, but anyway, here it is (in it's own post).

3 comments:

gmarievaughn said...

Yes, it worked. Yes, it was interesting. It TOTALLY 'hit' me. You were :)

Diana said...

What a great story. I think the ending line is just spot-on. Perhaps the area where you are all making fun of her could be less narrative - maybe a few lines of demonstrative dialogue instead? But it is a beautiful story. I am so glad you are a writer and will soon publish lots of books so I can read them all. :)

LegalMist said...

It's beautiful. Brought tears to my eyes. And I really got a feel for the people. And a great "twist" at the end... a reminder that things aren't always what they seem.

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers

There was an error in this gadget