Monday, April 27, 2009

Bunny Flu

I somehow managed to come down with what I am calling flu-like symptoms yesterday. I call it this because I had the flu shot (so I can't get the flu right? so this is something else?) and because, being a massive hypochondriac, I swear I have the swine flu. I always think I have everything that I see on the news and swine flu sounds really, super scary. There is something terrifying about the word swine. I don't think it could be more frightening unless they called it maybe the maggot flu or the vampire bat flu. Swine is an awful, awful word. I think they do this on purpose. Swine even sounds worse than hog or pig. Pig Flu sounds a lot milder than Swine Flu and a name really says a lot. I'm comforting myself by reminding myself that while I am feverish, aching, half delirious and have a sore throat that makes me feel like I swallowed sulfuric acid, that I have much milder symptoms than Swine Flu. I think what I actually have is Bunny Flu.

I've decided to call whatever is making me ill the Bunny Flu, because that almost sounds like something kind of cute and fun, doesn't it? I'd much rather have Bunny Flu than Swine Flu. So now, as I lose my voice from Bunny Flu, I have ten million things to do and I'm going to do them all in spite of my affliction, but really I just want to sleep on the couch and watch movies and sip Jamba Juice Cold Buster smoothies. My thesis is due this week and I have to finish it and turn in my students' grades and get ready to go to California next week and oh, lord. It's all too much to process right now. Oh, I also need to finish the All Pear story, which I will. Damned Bunny Flu.

20 comments:

MtnMama said...

Well, it's a baaaaad wabbit, then. Please don't pull a John Henry on us.

hugs

Emily said...

You can get the flu if you've had the flu shot (depends if they guessed correctly on which strains would be going around this year, but swine flu . . . not likely.)

I understand the fear though; I don't get nervous about things on the news, but if anyone near me complains of ANY symptom, I immediately start feeling it myself.

Renee in Seattle said...

Hypochondria aside...... will you please go to the doctor and get a culture?

I once was convinced I had polycystic ovarian syndrome because I read about it in a magazine.....

Anonymous said...

Maybe you have the Killer Rabbit Flu. You know like on Monty Python Holy Grail.

Feel better

JoeinVegas said...

Yes, bunny flu, so much more fuzzy and fun.

kerry said...

I hope you feel better soon! I get really quite impatient with the whole panic induced by the news. Just report it, please. No need to panic people.

rosie-b said...

Little Bunny Flu Flu?
Be careful of turning into a goon.

Anonymous said...

I like to think of it as a pun - the swine flew. . .

Dayna said...

Is that what it is, the Bunny Flu. I have been having this for 2 weeks. My husband started this weekend. The sore throat was horrible, I thought it was strep.

Living in Muddy Waters said...

Umm..Emily's right. The flu shot isn't always a guarantee you won't get the flu. In some cases it protects you from having a long drawn out case, but not always.

Rest...you're desire to be Superwoman is just the fever talking.

And is there anyway I can join your FB thing without having my identity show. Does FB allow lurkers?

Jeannie said...

The flu shot only protects against 3 of possibly thousands of flu viruses - the 3 the health people believe will be the most virulent but you can still get any of the other 10,000 flus.

Last Minute Lyn said...

something has been going around So. Florida...half of my staff got it. I so far have been well..knock on wood.
Hope you feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

When I hear swine I think of Peter Sellers doing Inspector Clouseau - "Swine!" - but maybe that's just me. I'm in NY, ground zero for every stupid disease that pops up on the radar and I've just learned to accept that it may indeed be my fate. My great grandmother died in 1918 from the great flu pandemic. However she has just given birth to her sixth child so that may have compromised her immune system a bit. I'm stopping at two babies myself.

gmarievaughn said...

cute xD

the Bag Lady said...

Sorry to hear you are ill. If you do have the flu, please go to the doctor and have it cultured (or at least call them and ask if you should). Bunny flu is something you shouldn't mess around with!
And stay home. That's why everyone else gets sick - we all try to be heroes, and go out and pass it around.

Suzannr said...

Very cute!

JDogg said...

My brother has been having customers ask if they can eat the BBQ Pork with the 'swine flu' outbreak. They are concerned that they are going to get a cold from eating some ribs.

Linda said...

Here's hoping your "Bunny Flu" hops away very soon! Looking forward to your ending on the "All Pear" story....such a good one as are all of your stories!

sixmaybemore said...

You're right, Bunny Flu sounds so much better. I would run screaming for the hills and live in a plastic bubble if there were such a thing as the Vampire Bat Flu.

Ambitious Blonde said...

Having just come off of a wicked two-week fluish illness myself, I can sympathinze with your bunny flu. I have decided that's also what I had, because the name is way cuter than "virulent death plague", which was what I was first calling my illness.

Feel better soon!

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers

There was an error in this gadget