Wednesday, March 25, 2009
You will never believe this. Of course on Saturday after I got done writing about prune juice and poop, the damned Internet went out again. Apparently it's not compatible with rain and it was stormy last week. Now it's finally back again, but not before I left you with a three day mental image of me after a strong laxative. Lovely, isn't it?

Ok, so we need to segue into the next story. Your last story was about the night when I finally left Millpond at 11 years old and went to live with the parents I call my mother and father now. I never talked to my biological father again, although you may recall that I saw him at my grandfather's funeral last June and wrote all about it. My stepmother died of cancer last year. A bitch to the end, she left instructions that I was not to attend her funeral or be mentioned in her obituary. I wouldn't have wanted either. But still, can you imagine being on your deathbed and making a request like that?

I got to have ice cream, living in New York with my new parents. Often on the weekends that first summer we'd go into the city and eat at a hole in the wall Chinese place on the Upper East Side. It used to be a sit-down place, but now it's only take-out. The food is still amazing. If I have readers in New York who'd like to try it, the place is called The Szechuan Kitchen and it's somewhere around 77th and 1st Avenue, I think. I'd never had Chinese food before, so it was a big deal to me. Other times we'd head down to the Village for Mamoun's Falafel and there was also the infamous Greek souvlaki joint where my parents repeatedly tricked me into eating lamb pitas telling me they were beef. I don't think it's there anymore. Gelato San Martin on Columbus closed within a year after my arrival in New York.


It was a good summer. I don't remember a lot of it. I spent most of my time exploring the woods and lake behind our house. For the first time I had my own dog and a tuxedo cat. I was getting to know my mother that summer, because until then I'd really only seen her here and there for a weekend at a time or a few weeks during the summers. Now I had her all the time.

I learned pretty quickly that my mother, who was only 29 at the time, was no June Cleaver. A lot of times, she didn't really feel like a mother, but more like a sort of friend. My parents were a huge, complicated mystery and I spent that first summer just trying to figure them out. I wasn't very successful.

In mid-September, I started seventh grade at Riverbank Junior High. I had to go to my new school with a mullet. To read this story in order, go read this post about how I got a mullet. A week after school started, Tammy came to live with us and everything changed.

1 comments:

Dayna said...

My aunt had some of that green lipstick. She was convinced it turned a color according to your mood. EVERYONE'S shade was entirely different.

In her life she has been through every diet and make-up regimen on the market and the latest one was always the one that was going to make her slim & trim, beautiful & radiant and super rich.

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Search

Loading...

Followers

There was an error in this gadget