Wednesday, January 07, 2009

A Fitness Update

Wow! Thank you so much for all of your advice and comments. You definitely got me out of my rut and I knew if I had all these people reading and commenting that I was going to have to follow through. When you put something in writing and hundreds of people read it, you have to be accountable, and that's partly why I did it.

So the least I could do was let you all know how it's going.

Today I took a beginning Pilates class! I took it instead of yoga because the place that I can afford, which is also for beginners, only had Pilates today. Close enough I figured and I was right.

There were about six people in the class and two teachers. One teacher taught and the other came around and helped people who were having trouble. That translates to : the other teacher pretty much spent the entire class helping me. The class was just your average, friendly chubby older ladies. There were no Gwyneth Paltrows arching themselves effortlessly like swans and I loved it. The class was great and I felt energized and flexible and in a really good mood after it was over. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

Most of all I did something that was really far out of my comfort zone. I began getting over a really stupid fear and did something great for myself.

And I didn't fart.

Thanks readers. Never underestimate the support and encouragement of total strangers and if you all ever need a pep talk from me I'd be happy to give you one in return. Just email me.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! I'm so proud of you. I knew you would do the right thing.

AmySalyer said...

Ohgawdohgawdohgawd... I just discovered your blog and have read about the last 20 entries, which resulted in hysterical laughing, gasping, snot-blowing, and near-peeing in my recliner. You are freakin' FUNNY!!! Exactly the kind of personal narrative I truly enjoy - thank you for EXISTING!!!

kerry said...

Yay!!!! Good job!!! I've never taken a Pilates class, but I hear they're great.

Andromanche said...

That's great. Congratulations.

On a completely off-topic note, the word verification "word" is "spronses." It sounds like a phase of the menustral cycle to me. Or the feminine version of testicles.

KT said...

Yay! So glad you went to a class -- and glad to hear there was no flatulence involved :)

nicrogers said...

Good for you! I am proud of you, I know how difficult taking that first step can be. I still haven't taken it. So I really know! Keep up the good work.

Modern Philodoxos said...

it's ok. i fart all the time when i'm doing yoga. i just try to be quiet about it. it's natural. be free!

amy said...

That's awesome! I'm so glad you did that for yourself, and that you liked it.

Shannon Culver said...

You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing you think you cannot do.
-Elanor Roosevelt

Well done!

BoB said...

did they make you wear an eye patch and drink rum before you could start?




fear of being too obscure and therefore not appreciated makes me point out that I was trying to pun pilates into pirates

Elena said...

yay, good for you for trying it! Stick with it, it's amazing how flexible you'll be in six months. Once you get a couple of the mat routines down, it's a great thing to do at home for 15 min in the morning or afternoon to get warm and toasty.

Eric said...

Cool but you should know that farting during pilates is just noisy and embarassing.

However during Yoga it is lyrical and smells or dying roses.

jmm said...

Hi WL,

Here's a blog you might like, I thought of you because the topic today was yoga class!

http://www.geezersisters.com/

Sauntering Soul said...

Good for you! You may convince me to overcome my own fear of going to a yoga place.

SpookyRach said...

My pilates instructor farted this morning.

Vindication!

Michelle said...

Good for you! I am so happy for you, it is really difficult to step out of ones comfort zone.
I started Yoga last night. It was awesome and I had that whole out of body experience but today I am so sore I can hardly move.

sallyacious said...

I came here to post a "How was the yoga class?" comment, assuming you might need an additional nudge, but apparently that's just me and you're all KINDS of motivated.

Good for you! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Ania said...

Congrats! I started going to the gym before Christmas and I absolutely love it.

Ania said...

@Andromanche: my word was venis...

Christi Lee said...

@AmySalyer:

I'll bet you stayed up all night reading it too! =) I spent days reading this blog when I first found it. It's by far my favorite and if WL puts out a book, she best be telling us about it.

@ WL:

Good for you! I have not started running yet, but since you went ahead and did your thing, I will start on Sat. I am not huge, but with a nasty bout of depression and my eating habits of late...

Stick with it and I am sure you will find some great blogging material as well as a non-future-tree-trunk self. Yafers!

emf said...

I love pilates! I do yoga too, but I like active stretching better.
Welcome to the club!

Anonymous said...

Whoo whoo! Gold stars for you! I'm so glad you had fun.

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Search

Loading...

Followers

Share it