Monday, December 22, 2008
I'm driving back down to Millpond today for Christmas with everyone. Uncle Bull has promised to make us some of his BBQ which he says will cause your tongue to fly out and slap your eyeball. It's really cold. I am about to freeze to death. I had to bring some jars of salsa into the house so they wouldn't freeze and the kitty's water out on the porch turned into a solid block of ice. I'm not used to this sort of thing living down in the tropics.

Today is the first full day of winter. Yesterday was the shortest day of the year and this got me to thinking some more about holiday greetings and how there are so many holidays at this time of year. Chanukah started last night too and I think tonight I'm going to surprise my dad and make him latkes here in Millpond. I don't want to say "Merry Christmas" to strangers. I want to recognize that I live in a country that is changing for the better - a country where all kinds of people can believe whatever they want and that's ok. I don't want to take the Christ out of Christmas for Christians and sometimes I feel like Christians can get a bad rap, but at the same time I know there are lots of people who aren't Christian and they shouldn't have to feel left out in their own country either.

So I've devised a new holiday greeting for all of you, because I know (and am thrilled) that I have readers from many parts of the world and belief systems. My new holiday greeting is good for everyone and captures the essence of essentially what all these holidays are ultimately about. Please take my holiday greeting and use it even if it sounds corny and I think we can start a trend.

Dear readers, this holiday season I wish you all light in the darkness.

And along with that, I wish for you all to be lights in the darkness.

17 comments:

Katie said...

May there be lights in your darkness as well. Happy Snow!

Emily said...

I'm not sure how that will fly down there in "Real America," but I like it.

Though apparently, don't try it at Long John Silver's:

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2008/12/minn_muslims_do.php

always in the kitchen said...

I like that,light in the darkness.

sallyacious said...

That is perfect.

Thank you.

As they say in the churches I occasionally visit, "Peace be with you."

Fancy Schmancy said...

I love it, simple and beautiful.

KT said...

Love it! May there be lights in your darkness, too :)

Nora said...

I like it.

Mel said...

I'll think of you for sure, the next time the power goes out!
I'm not so sure your new greeting does it for me, sorry. :- (

Mel

Anonymous said...

I love it!!! I'm one of those Christians who didn't want to stop saying Merry Christmas. Not to be offensive, just because that is what it is to me and if it is something else to someone else, I don't mind if they say so. But I love this new phrase you came up with. I hope everyone starts using it and it becomes the new greeting for the season.

Wide Lawns said...

I just wanted to clarify - I still say Merry Christmas to my family and people I know are Christian. I say Happy Chanukah to my Jewish family and friends but only when it's actually Chanukah. One of my pet peeves is saying Happy Chanukah any old random time in December when it's not the actual holiday.My new greeting though is good for everyone, except apparently Mel, and good for strangers and mixed company.

stljoie said...

I love it...shining back at you!!!

Talula said...

You know the only thing that bugs me about the whole no 'Merry Christmas' crap? When I was a kid, I went to school in a predominantly Jewish area. So they said Happy Hanukkah and I said Merry Christmas, and we actually LEARNED about the differences we all had. I can still spin the dreidel with the best of them. I think in trying to NEVER offend people, we lose a lot of what makes us different. I like learning about different things. I do not like pretending we are all the same, you know? I hope wed can all be lights in each others' darkness!

Christi Lee said...

Ditto!

Hilary said...

I think it's a lovely greeting, as they all are, provided they're delivered with sincerity. I don't believe that anyone intends to insult or exclude, as so many seem to believe.

My kids celebrate both Hanukkah and Christmas so we have celebrations with both families as I've just reposted in my blog. My greeting of choice this year is Happy Kwanzachristmakah!

Ambitious Blonde said...

Loves it! I can deal with being a beacon. :)

Kali said...

Thanks, Wide Lawn (sorry, I don't know hwo else to address you).

I want you to know that this blog always amuses and frequently inspires.

You are a definitely a light in the darkness!

kerry said...

That's a wonderful greeting! I like it! May there be lights in your darkness, too.

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Search

Loading...

Followers

There was an error in this gadget