Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Yeah, Definitely Old

Last night, during the last hour of my birthday I heard a ruckus outside which sounded something like an Old West gun fight was going on on my street. Because I would be the first person to get killed in a horror movie, I decided to go outside and see what the mysterious noise was.

The kids across the street, for some ungodly reason were on their roof (about 8 of them) throwing lit firecrackers off the roof and into the street. As soon as I saw this I noticed that one of my neighbors was on her balcony looking at the kids do this.

"It's firecrackers," she said.

"At 11:30 on a Monday?" I asked.

"Yes, can you imagine?"

And then I launched into a long, a very long, diatribe about how if I had done something like that when I was young that my mother would have whipped my ass for it and when I was that age kids didn't do stuff like that because we had respect, but these kids now didn't have respect anymore and look at why. Because their parens let them throw lit firecrackers off the roof at 11:30 on a Monday night and what is the whole world coming to and then the neighbor and I started yelling at the kids to knock it off that people were trying to sleep.

That was when I realized that I was officially, now, old and that I sounded exactly, startlingly like my grandmothers.

The truth is that while my mother would have whipped my ass for that, that at the same age I would have totally wanted to throw lit firecrackers off the roof of my house and I would have had just as much fun doing it as they were. In fact, I'd probably enjoy it now. The difference is that when I was a kid, I would have made sure to do it on a Friday and not a Monday.

8 comments:

kerry said...

Yeah, I'm with you. I don't have kids throwing firecrackers but other things. I'm turning into my mother.

Good thing I love my mother, though I'm not exactly ready to be old.

Jeannie said...

We'd have definitely done it - Monday, Tuesday - any day - but we'd have done it out of earshot of anyone who knew us so we wouldn't get in trouble

Aleta said...

We got on the roof and threw eggs at the neighbor's roof. It was during the summer, hot and humid. Those eggs STAYED on that roof and cooked.... we'd see it there for months and months until it rained really hard. Lol. Yep, you're gettin old!

the Bag Lady said...

Belated Happy Birthday.

Yelling at kids throwing firecrackers at 11:30 on a Monday night is one of the perks of getting old! Although, methinks you're a little young to be getting away with it! :)

Mommy said...

The neighbor kids always lit bottle rockets in their hands but that was almost twenty years ago so I guess I was old before my time to be bothered by it.

catherinette said...

The fact that you used the word "ruckus" in your post confirms that you are old. Did anyone give you bengay for your birthday?

Sarah said...

You really know youre getting old when you go out at night and you start raving on about what the young people are wearing. Thing is, Im pretty sure Ive been doing that since I was young!!

Candid Carrie said...

When I was growing up The Man On The Corner did not want kids using his lawn to turn their bikes around. We were supposed to get off our bikes and walk them in a circle and not drive on his lawn no matter what the circumstances were.

He was really, really old. Like maybe fifty five and we knew he loved his lawn more than he loved kids.

But we were kids so we drove on the lawn that belonged to The Man On The Corner every chance we would get. He watched out the window and shook his fist.

A few weeks ago I accompanied a group of kids from school that were doing a presentation at a nursing home and saw The Man On The Corner and I felt terribly old.

I apologized to him for all the times I rode my bike on his property. He apologized for being so uptight about his lawn.

The real story wasn't anything like the story we imagined when we were growing up. He was actually in his early thirties and he had been in a car accident that killed his wife and son. He was angry at everyone and everything.

I felt even older. And typing this comment makes me feel older still.

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers

There was an error in this gadget