Friday, November 07, 2008

I Temporarily Interrupt My Story...


I wanted to participate in Candid Carrie's favorite photo Friday. This is one of my favorite photos and for several reasons. In this I am sitting in the chair with Mommom Jewel who is holding Bella when she was a baby. I am holding our other cousin and we are at my aunt and uncle's house. It must have been a special occasion judging from my mary janes, but I don't know what it was. It was definitely in the late summer or early Fall judging the the age of the babies who were born at the end of May and beginning of July. Also note my brown-ness, another indicator of summer. One other thing that cracks me up about this picture is that it was almost 29 years ago and my aunt and uncle still have the exact same carpet, furniture and decorations. They haven't changed anything. That chair is still there in the exact same place. I was thinking it would be hilarious if this Christmas we restaged the picture and all climbed in that chair again. Except we definitely wouldn't all fit in it now and in fact, might break it. If I manage to get that done, I promise I'll post the updated version for you too.

17 comments:

just a kat said...

Did that chair rock?
It could be (except for the upholstery) an exact dupe of the one at my nana's house (where I lived part-time)!!! Weird!

Thanks for sharing!!
~kat

Wide Lawns said...

Yes it did!

Mommy said...

I think we had a non-rocking version of the chair but it was ulpholstered in brown vinyl/pleather. Our couch was in a fabric similar to the chair though.

Sare said...

you look SO much like this little girl i used to tutor in reading. she has the same big brown eyes you did when you were young; the resemblance is scary :P

Mrs Parks said...

Is that the drunk dail Aunts house?

Wide Lawns said...

No Mrs. Parks, totally different side of the family.

Sinclair said...

You look like such a good girl. Kind of like Grandma's right hand. Mommom Jewel must be very proud of you!

jen721 said...

Great Flashback!

Chiada said...

My parents had a sofa that matched that chair precisely, even with the wide dark stained wood arms. I'll have to dig it up and post it. They got rid of it looong ago though (the sofa).

Candid Carrie said...

Hey Phirst Timer! Welcome!

I believe that style of furniture is called ... EARLY AMERICAN ...

That was the scratchiest plaid upholstery fabric ever created. I am guessing that this family still has their harvest gold kitchen sink? Not that there is anything wrong with that!

Thanks for participating!

floridagirl said...

You inspired me to publish some of my family photos---www.floridagirl-giansnanny.blogspot.com
Isn't it funny how older relatives NEVER change their furniture or surroundings???

Head Nut said...

What a phab phamily memory!! i say re-stage it! if the chair breaks buy them a new...more modern one ;)

Nana said...

We've restaged two photos: My girls at 3 & 4 holding their baby cousin (much harder to do now that they're all in their 30's)

My sister (one foot bare), our cousin and me...at 1, 2, 3 -- and 60 years later. Nope, we can't all fit on the chair...but we're in front of the same breakfront with the same silver tea service.

a.men said...

What a great picture! Good memories!

Z's Mom said...

What a great picture!!! You totally have to try to redo that this Christmas....that would be great!!!

Teri said...

Oh, you absolutely must recreate that shot. Too funny!

Found you on Candid Carrie.

Ambitious Blonde said...

Such a sweet photo. :)

I say definitely recreate the picture for posterity. If that many years of use hasn't killed that chair by now, I'm thinking nothing will. :)

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers

There was an error in this gadget