Wednesday, October 08, 2008

What Happened to My Sister - Part 3

So my sister wanted me to add in to yesterday's post that while she was up North visiting Brad that he took her to a swanky beach front home in a well known, expensive New England seaside town and actually took her into a house telling her it was his beach house that he owned. Later he actually told us he was going to take us all there to stay this past August and that we could have clam bakes on the beach, which would have been really fun HAD IT BEEN TRUE. We have never figured out whose house it was or how he got into it. But let's get back to the story. Shall we?

Sister came back from her weekend totally and completely in love. She had a wonderful time, loved the Boston area and was seriously considering moving up once she graduated in a few months. Brad was the one for her.

Once she got home he called and called and wrote her long emails and had flowers delivered to her doorstep. And then he himself showed up on her doorstep too. But it was Valentines week, so that was to be expected, wasn't it?

The same thing happened. He kept saying he had meetings and he had to leave and then he kept changing his plans and staying longer and longer and not appearing to do any actual work. But he kept taking her out. They spent a weekend in Key West and he kept making plans for all kinds of elaborate trips that they were going to go on.

Spring break was coming up and Brad decided that since he had to go to Asia on an important business trip that he should take Sister with him. He'd pay for all of it and they'd go to Malaysia and stay in a five star resort where he'd been. He said it was so incredible that it would blow her mind. She was over the moon about this. She paid a huge fee to get a quick passport and bought all kinds of things for the trip, including a portable dvd player for the 20 hour plane ride. She couldn't wait. Sister hasn't been able to travel a lot, but she has always really wanted to see the world and she has a fearless sense of adventure. She's one of those people who are up for anything at anytime. Unlike me. I need years of planning.

Finally the day of the trip came. She was leaving for Malaysia on a Saturday morning and returning the following Monday. Brad emailed her pictures of the resort and it looked beautiful. I saw the emails. Friday night he also emailed her an intinerary for her flights which I also saw. I wanted a copy so that I would know where she was if something happened.

She was to leave Saturday and fly to LA where they were going to meet and then catch the flight to Malay or Kuala Lumpur or wherever the hell he said they were going. The intinerary ended in LA.

The next morning she called me around noon.

"Are you in LA on your layover? You must be so excited," I said.

"Umm. No. The trip has been delayed. Brad had meetings in Boston. He couldn't miss them, so the trip is postponed until Tuesday."

"You're going to Asia for less than a week? Because you'll get there like Wednesday and then you have to leave on Sunday and the jet lag is enormous and the flights are endless. Does that make sense?"

"Well he had to work. There wasn't anything he could do about it,"she said.

So Monday night he sent a new itinerary, which I also saw. This time she was leaving here, flying to Charlotte and then going on from Charlotte to Los Angeles. She arranged to meet my Dad during her layover and gave him all the information. We made sure she had a ride to the airport at five in the morning and hoped for the best. She promised to call from Charlotte.

She called me around eleven in the morning. She was supposed to be in Charlotte earlier than that and LA later than that. I was confused.

"Were you delayed?" I asked.

"No, we had a change of plans."

"Where are you?" I asked, because she was clearly in an airport from the background noise.

"Houston."

"Where are you going? What's going on? Is everything ok?"

"Umm, We're going to Hondurus. Tulum, Honduras."

"WHAT??"

"Brad showed up on my doorstep at 2 in the morning and we took a cab to the airport and we went to a different airline and I asked if he made a mistake and he was like, no, we're not going to Malaysia. Surprise, we're going to Honduras!"

"WHATTTTTTT??????????? You're going where? I need flight info! Where are you staying. What's the name of the hotel?"

"I don't know! It's a surprise. I don't know. I need to go. I have to go. They're boarding the plane."

"What plane??"

"To Cancun."

"Cancun? That's Mexico!"

"I know. We're driving to Honduras. I don't know. I HAVE TO GO!"

The line went dead. I begin to seriously freak out. I considered calling the police. I didn't know what to do. I tried to decide if she was sending me a secret coded message. Was she in trouble? All I could think about was Natalee Holloway disappearing in Aruba. My sister was somewhere in Central America on a flight on a mysterious airline, going to God knows where in Honduras and I would have no way to reach her at all.

"She said Tulum," I told Husband and we looked it up.

There is no Tulum in Honduras. It's in Mexico. So why did she say Honduras? Why did he tell her they were going to Honduras? The guy had a history of violence, was clearly shady and now he had taken my sister away without any of her family knowing where she was.

To say the entire family freaked out was un understatement.

We didn't hear from her. We couldn't reach her. We wondered if she was taken against her will, if she even knew where she was. I don't think we've ever been more worried.

There is still more to come...

25 comments:

Twinx said...

Don't keep us waiting!!

Ordinary Housewife said...

This is better than a Lifetime movie.

Wide Lawns said...

I'm trying to give you a little bit every day before I go to school so that you don't go days with no story.

phine said...

Wow... I'm hooked and spooked. I can't wait to see what happened.

I'm new to your blog so I'm going to go and check out some of your other stories.

Thanks for sharing!

Lauren said...

Oh man this is getting intense!!! I am on the edge of my seat... (a.k.a GREAT WRITING KEEP IT UP!)

Anonymous said...

Sorry to be anonymous... I'm a long time reader, I just don't have a google account.
Anyway, thanks for this. I'm sorry this happened to your sister, but I'm learning a lot.

Jess said...

I can't even imagine the fear running through your veins. I'm so glad I know your sister made it through this mess or I'd seriously be thinking she didn't.

Fancy Schmancy said...

You must have been beside yourself with fear! Mexico itself can be a scary place, never mind with a shady guy like that!

DiaryofWhy said...

Ack, I'm dying of suspense! I'm so sorry your sister had to go through all of this. But she should totally write a book or a screenplay and get something positive out of this scumbag situation.

Amy said...

I have to agree with Jess. If I didn't already know your sister made it back, I would be worried sick!

feefifoto said...

Aargh! You're killin' me here! good thing I have you in my reader.

Chris (Dippy Chick) said...

Yikes! I'm on the edge of my seat!

Dawn said...

I've got to give you credit -- I didn't have high hopes for a very interesting story (just based on the topic alone), but now I'm literally at the edge of my seat. Don't make us wait until tomorrow!

Jean Phoenix said...

I'm with all of the above comments - thank you for adding the comment from your sister so that we aren't more concerned for her safety then we are now!

Eva said...

You are an amazing writer, and the story speaks for itself.

I've always been uneasy and never let a boyfriend buy my plane tickets. I like to have an escape plan.

Also a bacon salt update: I heard they are going to be featured in Maxim soon!

Yerba Buena said...

Holy crap that's terrifying.

Anonymous said...

Your writing is so good, I have been a silent reader for a long time, and I never get tired of reading you. I thank you for sharing this with us.
Tell your sister thanks also for letting you share the story.

On another note back in july 2007 you wrote about a Bar Mitzvah and a family coming to America, did you ever finish the story, if you have could u tell me in which month it is I cannot seem to find it, if not I would love to hear the rest.
Thanks!

Megan said...

just found you and this is sounding fascinating!

sallyacious said...

Wow. I too am glad to know that your sister made it out of this okay. Because I would be even more freaked out than I already am by this story.

Sinclair said...

WL your sister's situation touches home so close. I wish I had the guts to write my own stories but my pattern is to bury things deep, very deep and try not to remember them again so if I even try to begin I know the stories would never be told.

I also wish it had happened only once but just like your parents freak magnet I have my own liars' magnet.

At first is easy to blame the other and move to the next. After a while you choose to be alone and re-examine yourself. I hope she finds out what she is doing wrong before she moves on to the next Rusty Brad.

Contrary to common belief people do change, not easily I might add. Now I'm happily married to a happy go lucky guy who is the exact opposite to all the Rusty Brads I've been with.

I had my share of Rusty Brads who made me think "awww, he is so the one", the one to beat me up, or the one to clean my savings up or maybe the one who had a wife in another country. Funny to say when I met my husband I thought he was gay and spoke a little bit retard.

My advice to your sister and probably to all single gals out there: know yourself, correct your mistakes and please give nice guys a break. When you go from bad relationship to another bad one you've got to stop and think "what if it is me the one doing things wrong?".

Green said...

WL, this is nuts. I have worked with lawyers who are truly multi-millionaires and they do NOT let a meeting or two push back a flight that is taking them around the world. They reschedule the meetings NOT the flights.

You and your sister need a code word for when she's in trouble. Wait, first she needs to realize when she's in trouble, then you guys need a code word.

I am so glad we already know she ultimately is safe, otherwise I'd be sending my grandpa to stalk you and demand you write the rest.

dayna said...

Skip the book this movie would rock. Your parents already love LA. It would give them another reason to stay longer.

Anonymous said...

Oh my god, this is so suspenseful! He sounds like such a psycho. I'm so sorry your sister got mixed up with this guy.

stljoie said...

Jesuss!!!!And I thought I had met the worst.

Stephanie / Yukaeshi said...

I'm from Malaysia >_<

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers

There was an error in this gadget