Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The House I Wished I Lived In


We used to pass this house on the way to the cemetery and I remember looking out the car window in absolute awe of this house with its gates. I wanted to live in this house more than you can imagine. I thought it was the grandest thing I'd ever seen in my life. My mother told me that when she was growing up a family lived in it that had like six or seven kids and that the parents were alcoholics and let the kids run wild and have huge drug parties. This was disappointing to me, as you can imagine. I always figured the people who lived there walked around in period clothing and threw elegant tea parties in there. This time when I went back, it looked pretty shabby to tell you the truth. It wasn't doing it for me anymore. Maybe it's the mental image of strung out teenagers lolling around inside that ruined it.

4 comments:

feefifoto said...

I must have missed something -- on your way to the cemetery? Was this a regular occurrence?

Jess said...

Doesn't look shabby to me at all. It must be knowing what went on in there that jaded your vision of it.

Emily said...

I love the contrast between this picture and the last. I also had a "dream house" I used to pass by as a kid all the time.

Candid Carrie said...

I had an awesome "dream house" growing up. When I was a little girl, we would go for a drive and then "check if Carrie's dream house was still there" and I honestly grew up believing it could actually disappear.

One fine day, the house across the street from my dream house became available and we bought it. I did actually spend quite a bit of time in my dream house after befriending the owner but it was more more pleasant to be on my side of the street and look at the house any time I wanted to than it ever would have been to live inside the dream house.

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers

There was an error in this gadget