Monday, July 07, 2008

I'm in Iowa!!

I can't believe this but I am writing from Iowa City! I made it here yesterday, having survived a connection in a tiny plane (what I consider to be a tiny plane anyway) from Chicago to Cedar Rapids. I'll be here for 3 weeks doing nothing but writing. I already had my first class last night and I was deliriously sleepy because I had to get up at 3am to catch my flight out of Miami.

I was immediately enchanted with Iowa City. It's beautiful! It's like Pleasantville. There was this interesting sense of familiarity I had as soon as I got here and I realized it's a lot like other places I've lived - a little like Riverbank, New York, a whole lot like Millpond and something like parts of Atlanta, but it's definitely not Southern. The best description I can give Iowa City is if you crossed Millpond with San Francisco, which is an odd combination sort of like if you bred a chihuahua with a siamese cat. And guess what? I'm not going to starve to death. There's a wonderful grocery store/ co-op. One of you told me about it and I thank you. I went yesterday and stocked up my apartment. Because...I have an apartment! It even has a fake woodstove with authentic fake fire and fake wood in it and everything. I'll take a picture of the view for you. It's beautiful.

For the time I'm here I've decided to walk everywhere no matter the distance. I want to go car free. It's not possible in Florida, but here it's the best option and I love walking. Last night I walked right past a Dairy Queen. Naturally I had to stop. On the way home from my class I saw five bunnies. We don't have those in South Florida. his morning I saw a chipmunk. At dusk the fireflies come out. I haven't seen fireflies in years. I almost cried from happiness and the relief of being away from all the crap and drama of my relatives. I don't mean to be mean by saying that. I love my family more than anything, but they wear me out and I need a break. My dear husband is not included in that, by the way. I miss him dreadfully, but as we used to have a long distance relationship anyway I'm used to being away from him and we don't have one those relationships where we can't do anything separately. We actually encourgage a great deal of independence in one another, which I feel is healthy for us.

It's just that my family makes me worry and with all the mess my sister has been going through, I need a change of scenery to get it all off my mind. I'm sure she probably does too, but since some asshole stole all her money and got her fired from her job she had to find a new job and work a lot to make up for the loss and can't go anywhere. It's very unfair. I wish I had a million dollars and I could send her on vacation.

So I have a lot of things to do this morning, which means that I will write all about my trip here and post pictures a bit later. I just wanted to say hello and let you know I got in ok. I hope you all had a great holiday.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a great time and indulge yourself. Your sister would want it that way. There's plenty of time for the family crisis issues when you return. Time away is so rare...it will invigorate you in ways that you can't imagine.

kerry said...

Congrats on a safe arrival!

I grew up in the midwest, so I know what you mean about how it feels.

That's awesome that you won't need a car! Walking is a good way to get around, second only to a bicycle (but I'm significantly partial to bicycles). :)

Enjoy Iowa. **hugs**

Missicat said...

Glad you got in OK - enjoy your break!

Jen said...

We got up her in CR yesterday. I would love to meet you if you have time in between class this week! I have to go check out the Camera shop near campus and will be in IC.

Bridgett said...

I lived in Iowa City for over a decade. I can't wait to move back. Did you get there in time for the JazzFest? I imagine that you've already found Prairie Lights, but if not, you should go -- not sure what the readings schedule is like in the summer, but a good bookstore is a good bookstore.

booda baby said...

What a strange and wonderful sensation to read about home through someone else's eyes.

It's a time honored tradition among writers to frequent several select pubs. Taverns. Yah, more like taverns. I hope your travel and charmed-weary head will find your way to one or two of them.

(And there's no reason at all to have a car in IC. There are some incredibly excellent joints within an hour, all around, but that's what making friends with locals is for.)

Hilary said...

I hope you relax and enjoy.. and write! :)

ajowen said...

For what it's worth, there's a bike library downtown that you can borrow a bike from for free (well, for a deposit, which you get back upon returning the bike). I think the library is on college & gilbert - it's near the farmer's market parking garage.

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers

There was an error in this gadget