Thursday, July 03, 2008

Happy Fourth of July!


The individuals who own this truck that I saw today at Publix would like to wish you and yours a Happy Independence Day. The thing is, I've seen this truck around town several times since the week of September 11th, 2001 and it has always been like this. This isn't just for the Fourth. These people are serious about being patriotic dammit. I've had the pleasure of seeing this truck at night and there are two strong spotlights lying in the bed of the truck which shine two columns of light, representing the twin towers I'm assuming, up into the night sky. They also serve to illuminate the flags a little more. The people who own this truck are not playing around. I've often wondered about them - wondered if they lost a loved one in the attacks, wondered if they had a family member serving in the military or if they just really love America. I have no idea. I did see a woman and a boy of about thirteen get in. The woman looked pretty much like you'd imagine. Go ahead and imagine what a woman who would drive this truck would look like. Did you do it? Ok, that's exactly what she looked like. Sometimes at night the truck blares patriotic music out of it, but not always. This afternoon it was quiet, but I'll bet if it goes for a ride tomorrow it'll be playing something about being proud to be an American. I don't know about this here truck, but I took a picture of it because I knew it was going to be about the most patriotic Fourth of July type of thing I'd see between today and tomorrow and I wanted to share it. A lot of effort obviously went into it. I hope you like it.

16 comments:

Hilary said...

Wishing you and yours, a happy 4th, from north of the border!

alissa said...

does she really wear an oversize plaid shirt and mom jeans?

i love your blog! it brings joy to my heart :)

Dayna said...

You said you wondered who they are......THEY ARE REDNECKS,THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Last Minute Lyn said...

I think I saw that truck in Plantation just a few days before Flag Day. I thought it was a flag day thing I had no idea it was all the time.

T. said...

I think the owner of that pickup lives in my town, too.

Thunder Brainstorm said...

Just a wild guess, but I'll venture to say that the woman wears oversized t-shirts, jean shorts, has short blond hair and is a tad overweight (just like a true American).

How close did I get?

Anonymous said...

No offense, but that picture's been around for at least a year. What was that about you not making things up?

Wide Lawns said...

I swear that I actually took that picture yesterday at Publix. Being that this thing has been around for a while, as I said, I've been seeing it since Sept. 11th '01, I'm sure more than one person has photographed it. You may also notice that I covered up its license plate and I didn't do a very good job of it, also proving that I took the picture. Note the photograph's name as well. I named the file from my digital camera that. I have another picture of it that came out blurry. You want to see that one too? That was before it started backing out. And I have both pictures before I resized them to put them on here. If it was some random picture from the internet I wouldn't have any of that. So yes, I stand by the authenticity of this picture and no I don't make things up. Also, I do take offense. And by the way, since that picture has supposedly been around for a year, why don't you find that exact picture somewhere else and direct me to it. Then we can do a comparison. You will see the pictures aren't the same. I took the picture at Publix July 3rd, 2008.

Kim said...

why do jerky people always insist on posting comments anonymously?

Rick said...

Because they're jerky.

.

Anonymous said...

I love how people say "no offense" just before making an offensive comment.

Hilary said...

Hmm let's see... Trust the sincerity of someone who consistently writes brilliant, lengthy posts about frequently-mentioned characters with painfully hysterical detail.. or the accusatory insult of some anonymous troll who drops in for a fly-by character shooting. Geesh it's hard to decide!

Kore said...

Yeah, saying "no offense" is code for "I'm going to say something obnoxious, but you can't be mad at me!"

I hate that.

TK said...

Great truck and the 1st A. poster was just a TROLL. :P

Keep the verification on.

Ahh, how I have missed reading your blog!

L said...

So my good friend Emily and I are leaving an event downtown Saint Paul, Minnesota, and we see this repair pickup parked at a gas station.

We both immediately thought of your blog. So look out while in Iowa! Apparently flag trucks live in the Midwest as well.

Basement Kitty said...

I know I'm commenting on something from a long time ago, but since I'm an obsessive neurotic, I have to read all the archives before I can read anything else. Anyway, on the back of that truck there's a Marine's sticker, I can't tell if it's the proud parent one of not... I know this because my husband was in the Marines, and I had a sticker just like that. So, you may be right about your guess that they have someone in the military. Also though, I know a lot of people from here (I'm in NJ) move down to your area so maybe like so many of us they lost someone they loved in the 911 attacks :\
Also, I love you and can't wait to finish the archives so I can find out what's going on now :D

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers

There was an error in this gadget