Sunday, June 01, 2008

Hurricane Season Again


I didn't even want to say those words. I just hope that we don't have to deal with this crap this year. That's a real picture by the way. I took it towards the end of Wilma in October of 2005. If I had taken it at the peak of the storm you wouldn't have been able to see anything except white, swirling tornadoes of water. The house that's straight ahead had to pretty much be condemned, because, as you can see, waves were crashing into it and the roof was mostly gone. They still haven't finished building the new house three years later. Also, that poor little shorn up palm tree in the corner has grown massively since then and is the one that is exploding with coconuts at the moment. That dock you see was destroyed and had to be rebuilt as well. The neighbor's docks are underwater in this picture. Hurricanes like this are not so much fun overall and I would really rather not have another one.

9 comments:

T. said...

Word, sister.

Reb said...

Wow. I love storms, but hurricanes and tornadoes I can live without!

Hilary said...

I can't even imagine how frightening it would be to have all of that happening around you. I don't know how you do it.

Moi said...

Oh Wide Lawns, how I have missed your delightfully amusing blog! I used to read it daily when I was at my last job. But then I suspended my blog, moved overseas, was funemployed for a couple of months, and fell behind. But I've got a new (boring) job now, so I am going to spend all afternoon catching up... :)

booda baby said...

Wow. People in the path o' the big storms rarely post such scary looking pix. That must be wild, to look impending disaster in the face. I don't mind earthquakes at all, even knowing/experiencing the big damage, but then ... I've never had to watch one coming. eeek.

JoeinVegas said...

And out here it's moved into dry hot sunny season. Oh hell, never mind, it's that season just about all year long.

Shay said...

I have lived through two hurricanes up close and personal (Bertha and Fran). I have been close to several tornadoes.

I'll take the hurricanes any day.

JackeeG4glamorous said...

Wow, people in the Midwest don't have a clue about hurricanes (now tornados we do) Thanks for the up close and personal view.
Thanks also for visiting my blog, and adding a "Save the Hostess" recipe. I took your advice, and had some fruit (with a twist though for the sweet tooth in our group, I chose nice cold green grapes and dipped 1/2 of them in white almond bark - melted- and then in crushed peanuts. They tasted like tiny little carmel apples, I DON'T KNOW HOW!, but it was so yummy people were shoving them in thier mouths like crazy)

Wide Lawns said...

YUM Jackee. I'll try that for my next get together. It's like caramel apples without breaking your teeth and what excellent portion control!

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers

There was an error in this gadget