Monday, May 19, 2008

Canela Turns Up the Heat on Me

After last week's post about Canela standing on my head she decided to turn the heat up on me and began to pull my hair while I slept. Frantically, she grabbed chunks of my hair in her mouth and pulled as hard as she could until I finally just couldn't take it anymore and got up to see if she would show me what the problem was. Remember, she has food, water (with ice cubes in it no less), a new catnip mouse, a clean box and is healthy. Although you all just about had me swearing I had some rare form of cancer last week, while I was also pregnant - and let me tell you, I got into such a fit of hypochondria that I actually started to consider whether or not I would have chemo while pregnant or just sacrifice myself for the unborn child - I am neither pregnant nor gravely ill. Thank the frickin' Lord on both accounts.

So I decided to let Canela show me what she wanted. She jumped off the bed and I followed. She rolled around on the floor and chirped and looked cute. Then she took a very meandering path to the stairs and started meowing while looking down the stairs. Pretty much what she wanted was for me to walk her down the stairs so she could patrol the whole downstairs of the house. I gave in. We didn't find anything amiss so then she wanted me to walk her back up the stairs and by that point I was wide awake so we watched TV and she sat on me and purred.

Husband and I have given this careful consideration and we think the mystery is solved. Canela is just a little anxious. She is bothering me because I am her person. She lived with me for five years before Husband came along and moved in with us. She adores him, but when all is said and done she is my girl alone. I guess she doesn't feel comfortable bothering him. Lucky me.

Canela is anxious because we left her for a week and then immediately brought her over to my parents' house where her best friend Bomboclaat no longer resides. She is worried because she is used to him being here and he isn't. His bed sat empty next to our bed and I think it was freaking her out and she wanted to go look for him. Now, we washed it all out, put the bedding from her bed into it and let her move in. She currently sleeps in it all day and seems to have accepted Bomboclaat's absence.

Another problem is that Canela has a brain the size of an almond and just simply can not grasp the concept of stairs and after all the times she has stayed here, can't comprehend how to get up and down stairs by herself. So I think in the middle of the night she was seeing Bomboclaat's bed empty and thinking we forgot him downstairs, then she wanted to go downstairs and look for him but couldn't get downstairs without me assisting her, so she had to wake me up. I know, it's so complicated. To remedy this situation we have been training her to go up and down the stairs by herself, offering treats at the top and bottom and going slowly up and down to model how one comes up and down the stairs. We had a small set-back when she slipped and fell, but she is fine and I think she might be learning, although it's really funny to watch. She won't just walk up or down. She has to run full speed for some reason.

To relieve Canela's anxiety we have been spending a lot of time with her during the day, playing with her and cuddling her a lot more than usual. We are also playing fetch and catch with her before bed to wear her out, which seems to work.

So that, I think, is the sources of the problem. Last night I managed to get a full night's sleep and when I woke up this morning a little kitty was curled up at the foot of the bed, sleeping happily too. So I decided to poke her and pull her hair.

No, just kidding. I gave her a kiss.

11 comments:

faded said...

I have an 74 pound Airdale that I love, but there are limits. If the dog causes me to loose sleep something will be done about the problem.

Put the cat in a create downstairs or have the cat for dinner, but don't let the animal rob you of sleep.

misha said...

wow - missed the post where you were pregnant, unless this is it - Congrats! Now I think she knows you have changed and is just wondering/curious. Maybe she even knows you are having a baby and she wont be your baby anymore. Animals are SO perceptive. My friend had twins and her dog used to always sniff her belly. They were born early and when she came home w/o them, her dog started looking for them. He was also extremely protective of them. God, I love animals.

Wide Lawns said...

NO NO I'm not pregnant!!!! Last week so many commenters suggested that maybe I was pregnant and didn't know it but that the cat knew it and was trying to tell me. I repeat - Not Having a Baby.

jen said...

Sounds to me like you need another pet. Canela wants a buddy, IMO.

Any chance of Bomboclaat returning? (And btw, I TOTALLY love that name, and would almost consider getting another pet just to use it.) Maybe you could adopt a pound kitty?

Perhaps that's just me projecting though, cause for the past few weeks I've had this feeling that soon another sorry scrawny cat will show up on my doorstep...?

T. said...

I'm resisting the urge to ask your due date...but I'm sure you've been through enough lately and are still moderately sleep deprived.

It sounds like you're doing all the right things...how sad that she lost a friend and is a little perturbed by the loss.

I think for Christmas, you should draw your cat being visited by Jacob Marley.

Chris (Dippy Chick) said...

I'm glad you solved it before you got a baseball bat to the head like in the video. :-D

sadi said...

Cute story. I'm glad you're getting some sleep and that you soothed your little kitty.

Sometimes they just need some reassurance. But then, don't we all?

Whiskeymarie said...

What's up with the cats lately? I have had to get up twice in as many nights to placate felines in various ways. I played "jingly toy" with Mr.T at 2:00 a.m. the other night, and they both have taken to smooshing their wet noses in my face and sticking their whiskers up my nose at 6 a.m. as I seem to be the "people" for both of them.
Congrats on not being preggers!

Hilary said...

You're such a good mom! Cats are usually fairly easy to read that way, but not so much when you're tired and sleep-deprived. I'm glad you were able to figure it out and get some sleep (I would have poked and pulled her hair before the kiss though).

Restaurant Gal said...

Cats. Cats! You are too patient, and how great you seemed to have figured the whole thing out!

Anonymous said...

Nice bit of feline psychology there - good thing that you are being patient with her. BTW, all my cats take the stairs at a run or trot too (kitten flies down them like a mad thing..)it seems to be a balance thing - like they need the momentum to keep going.

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers

There was an error in this gadget