Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Oh Yeah Baby - Stewed Prunes for Dessert Here I Come


At some point in my life I made the fateful mistake of briefly and vaguely mentioning in the presence of my grandmother that I might enjoy the occasional small portion of stewed prunes. Ever since she has responded by cooking up vats and barrels and cauldrons of stewed prunes every time she knows I'm coming over. While I appreciate, adore even, the fact that I have a grandmother who is so thoughtful and caring to make large amounts of something she thinks I like, the sad truth is that I don't particularly care all that much for stewed prunes. It's not that stewed prunes are horrible, because they aren't. Stewed prunes are definitely edible, far more delicious than gefilte fish or flanken any day, but there's a certain richness about them that makes it hard to eat a lot. If, by mistake, one does happen to eat a lot of stewed prunes, it's best to understand that there are certain...ummm... consequences. There are side effects to eating a bowl of stewed prunes. So if you really like stewed prunes as much as Savta thinks I do, you really need to make sure you have two or three days free to spend housebound. In my case, I can't really afford that much time off, but yet to be polite and to show my love for my grandmother who so selflessly cooks me stewed prunes I have to eat a lot of them. As I've said before, thank heavens there is a rest area on the highway halfway between my grandparents' house and my house. You may be saying that the above dish does not look like stewed prunes. I assure you it is. This is a celebratory dish called compote (how festive does it look, come on) and is not only stewed prunes, but also some stewed dried pears and apricots to boot. Should you choose to eat something like this don't come crying to me. I warned you.

3 comments:

Hilary said...

This is more nostalgia than a woman can take. Compote... ah yes, I remember it well.

Daniel said...

Perhaps you could eat a small portion and ask to take the rest home on some pretense that you are full or not feeling well or whatever excuse fits the day. Then you can give them to the homeless druggies in the old neighborhood.

Compote Chick said...

It's amazing how similar traditional Polish cuisine and Jewish cuisines are. My parents still make compote every Christmas and eat the jellied fish, only without fish and with meat. Trust me, it's still as gross.

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers

There was an error in this gadget