Thursday, December 20, 2007

I Visit Africa, But The One Without Warlords and Mosquito-Born Illness

The point of posting this picture is decidedly not to show you my vacation photos, because honestly who cares about seeing the boring vacation photos of a total stranger? I mean, I probably would but I am nosy and voyeuristic that way, but I don't expect you to. I went to Disney's Animal Kingdom the other day because as you know I love me some animals and I've always wanted to go on safari except I would never fly all that way to Africa because I hate long flights and I would never want to go somewhere where everything can potentially kill you and where everything gives you dysentary. I took this lovely picture with the intention of photographing a beautiful landscape with animals in it that I could use as my desktop wallpaper. When I got the picture home and looked at it in real size I noticed that in my attempt to take this lovely pastoral scene, I had inadvertently captured a zebra magnificently mid-poo. His tail is up and you can easily see the poo on its way to the ground. Click on the picture and zoom in if you must. I didn't resize it specifically so you too could enjoy the results of my sad and feeble attempt to take a nice, tasteful photograph. Then as luck would have it, on the very day, at the very moment that I decided to set foot in this amusement park, there was a small and mysterious ruckus occurring. Later we learned that This had happened. Someone died on a ride while I was there. Of course because of the scary, manufactured perfectness that is Disney, no one ever would have known while actually at the park. They were frighteningly efficient at covering everything up and maintaining the air of perfectitude (I am convinced that they train Disney employees in North Korea). I was taking pictures of the very ride where the person was dead, right as the person died and a police man came up to me, calling me "Princess" and herded me ever so gently away from the area. At the time I didn't get why and his gentleness was such that I didn't even realize I was being guided away, but now I know it was because he didn't want me to get a picture of a body being carried off a roller coaster. And I was thinking, man that really sucks. Imagine going to Disney for Christmas and having your relative die on a ride. That's awful. I feel really sorry for that family.

11 comments:

Lana Wood said...

Me too. It sucks any time someone you love dies. But this time of year is so frought with emotions and expectations I imagine it adds to the difficulty. How sad for his Mom and Dad...

Anonymous said...

That is very sad that someone died.

However, I can't stop laughing at that photo. I had the hardest time getting past the zebra in mid-poo sentence. It's freakin hysterical. And the poo suspended in mid drop is perfect.

Anonymous said...

Your picture portrays wild animals in such a way that no one will ever mistake the photo for being staged or inauthentic!

Regarding the happening at Disney: I, like you, feel sorry for the man's family. For them, Christmas will ever after be remembered as the anniversary of his passing. My nephew died on December 23rd, 1998. He was only 3 months old. That was the saddest Christmas ever for our family.

raven-wolf said...

I love the Zebra photo, seriously people could wait for hours to get an opportunity like that! You are soooo lucky! And you just happened to be taking a pic at DL on the VERY ride with the dead man on it! Seriously you've got some good mojo goin' on! Photography is an art and you are blessed to have such remarkable events happen right in front of your lens. Wow!

Anonymous said...

hey, even zebras poop and i think its a nice pic.
The guy who died, well dear, people die all the time. Some are bound to happen at various places. Unfortunate for his fam but he would have have died anyway, maybe even hung on a few more days and died Christmas eve or day...

misha said...

go to jpegmag.com and submit it for action shots!

JDogg said...

This post made me think about the children's book "Everyone Poops".


I'm glad you are taking the time to be a tourist, in your own area, sometimes we don't find the time to slow down and see the world around us. Well, maybe you saw more than you thought you would.

MP said...

Bad girl...popping zebra and dead man in the SAME post!! :-)

misha said...

nice pic.. LOVE the falling poop! For me, it's almost the best part.

Anonymous said...

I would like to wish you a very happy holiday season - and thank you for your blog.

Things have been rough for me these last few months and often the only smile I got was from reading your adventures. MomMom Jewel and the robber had me laughing so hard that I was crying.

Often people don't realize how they can touch another's life. Thank you for your wit, your insight on the upside of being among the crazy.

Happy Holidays

C said...

I visited the real Africa about ten years ago, the upper right hand corner part with the dried out dead people. In one of the dried out dead people houses, our guide pointed out a hieroglyphic story of a trip the occupant had made as a young man. During this trip, he saw a zebra taking a drink from a body of water. As happens sometimes in Africa, this body of water had a crocodile in it. The crocodile bit the zebra's nose, and the terrified zebra pooped.

This was apparently enough of a pivotal point in this ancient Egyptian's life that he decided he wanted to carry this with him into the afterlife and posted it on his wall for all eternity.
Welcome to the Internet, that will give your words eternal life.

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Search

Loading...

Followers

Share it