Tuesday, October 02, 2007

An Update on My Parents

Update on My Parents: They have installed a bar in their new apartment, because Jeez, you can't have an apartment without a bar, can you? I'm not talking a breakfast bar here. I mean a bar for mixing drinks, and while I don't drink much at all ever, I rather enjoy the idea of a bar in the house to make drinks and if anyone has a recipe for Pumpkin Pie Martinis, please share.

My parents have also attended one Hollywood party so far where they met a woman who used to be married to Dudley Moore or something. This impressed them very much because they really liked "Arthur" back when it came out. They also saw Diane Keaton walking down the street and my mother described her as "Tall, and skinny as hell."

Then they were in a restaurant and my father spotted Lily Tomlin and almost went out of his mind, so he went to walk by her so he could look at her up close, and she unexpectedly pulled him over to her to say: "Oh my God!! Do you see him?? It's Michael Douglas. Should I go up and say something?"

My father found this all very unexpected. Lily Tomlin was starstruck by Michael Douglas, when he was starstruck by her. I guess this is one of those "Only in LA" kinds of moments. I still have no idea why she pulled my dad, a total stranger and not famous except for his few seconds on Entourage, over to her. He told Lily Tomlin that she should indeed go say hi to Michael Douglas. I'm not sure if she did.

My dad sees famous people all the time. I, however, have never seen a famous person in LA. I saw Shaq one time in Miami and I think I may have seen Lenny Kravitz, but it could have been a guy who just looked like him because there are a ton of those in Miami.

One time, a few years back my dad ran into a Starbucks in Santa Monica to pee and lo and behold, none other than Arnold Schwartzenegger came in to pee too!! This was before he was governor, but still. My mother and I have never quite forgiven my father for "not looking." Seriously, how could you not look at Arnold's penis if it was right in front of you?? I don't get it. My mother and I were all like "Was it HUGE?" and my father replied that he didn't know because he didn't look.

Oh, and for Kevin Federline, if you are reading this, and obviously you are, right? My mom has said she is available anytime to babysit for Sean Preston and the other one whenever you want to go out to The Club and get someone else pregnant. She promises not to use her new bar while she has the babies.

Update: I've been pumpkin drink obsessed forever, so I must thank Mim for her pumpkin martini recipe in the comments section. I did a google search and they don't seem to make pumpkin schnapps anymore, but one of my daily reads, Slashfood had a post from 2 years ago where they talk about pumpkin drinks and some subsitute pumpkin-ness. That can be found HERE. And now, dear readers, if you have any pumpkin drink ideas, suggestions or recipes, please share them with me in the spirit of October.

I need THIS for my birthday I think.

12 comments:

Eric said...

My guess, Lily saw your dad being star struck and was gracious enough to diffuse a potentially awkward encounter using a bit of turn around.
Which if you think about it, is pretty damn cool of her.
Have not been commenting much lately but I sure have been enjoying the writing.
Thanks
Eric

MP said...

YEAH!!! I'm so glad they are keeping you up to date w/ the LA happenings! NOT That your life is borning by any means..but I just LOVE mom and dad stories. Have they found a temple? I bet they will be lots of people this way too! How in the hell did they get invited to a party so quick?

Mim said...

2 parts Absolut Vanilla vodka
1 part pumpkin schnapps
Splash of cream (or substitute a splash of orange juice)
Nutmeg

or if you prefer:
4 ounces of Smirnoff vodka
Pumpkin spice
1 ounce Stoli Vanilla vodka
Vanilla cocktail candy rim sugar

ENJOY! :)

Bob Dobbs said...

Arnold's equipment is normal, at least in the "rest" position. He's not remarkably tall, either; a hair under six feet.

Before you wonder, he came to work out at the gym I went to once, because it was owned by an old friend of his.

What is it with your parents? How do they connect so constantly with all these people?

Mim said...

And you can always use the 2nd recipe that calls for pumpkin spice.

And you're welcome. :) I'm full of seemingly useless info.

ADW said...

I so love your folks and I can't wait to hear the stories that come out of this adventure.

Plus I hope you get hired to be a writer on Grey's Anatomy. Call me. I have ideas.

secretmom said...

okay, this isn't a drink, but it's seriously one of the best cakes ever and sooo easy.

Pumpkin Pie Cake
1 can (29 ounce) pumpkin
1 large can evaporated milk
4 large eggs
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 salt
1/2 tsp cloves
1 1/3 cup sugar

Mix all ingredients and pour into greased 9x13 pan.
Sprinkle over mix 1/2 to 3/4 box yellow cake mix. (more mix makes a thicker crust)
Sprinkle over cake mix 1 cup chopped pecans
Pour 1 1/2 sticks melted, unsalted butter over nuts

Bake at 425 x 10 minutes. Reduce temp to 350 and bake another 50 minutes.

Serve with whipped cream.

Anonymous said...

Have you tried the latest pumpkin drinks from Starbucks?

They have pumpkin bread and pumpkin empanadas, too!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Secretmom, that sounds heavenly. As Dolly Parton once said, "I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness". Yummy!

Anonymous said...

Panera Bread has a great Pumpkin Latte thingy. Don't get it to go, though in a paper cup, with a lid.
Needs to be enjoyed in their big ole mug with the whipped cream and caramel stuff all over it.

Green said...

My friend made me some sort of pumpkin milkshake drink that was beyond yummy. Hers had liquor, and mine did not. I'll get you a recipe for hers in a few days.

I look forward to hanging out with you when you blast through SF on your trips to LA.

P.S. Next time I go to LA, can I hang out with your mom? Because I've now been to LA about four times in my life and have NEVER seen anyone famous there. Clearly I need help.

Anonymous said...

Hi fellow pumpkin lover. while googling pumpkin schnapps I stumbled upon your blog. It appears that they make it once again- although no one in central florida carries it right now. Total wine said they would special order it for me though- do you have one of those in S. FL? Here's the link to the blog that says its back. its from a month ago.
http://lukasstl.blogspot.com/

Amazon Search Box

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers

There was an error in this gadget